Undergraduate Admissions Officers are responsible for assisting new students. It is a post that combines clerical, administrative, and practical duties. Much time will be spent communicating with prospective students and their parents. UG officers are also expected to clearly and accurately process and evaluate application forms, which is a particular challenge during the busier times of the year.
A largely office-based role, you will be working within a team and communicating with both departmental and central university staff. A comprehensive knowledge of the admissions process is essential. This is linked with the work of UCAS, the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service.
The UG admissions team also organizes open days, allowing prospective students to come to the university and participate in interviews, find out more information about the course and the campus, and speak to admissions officers and academics.
The UG Admissions office is the first port of call for many potential students. You will be expected to give advice on how to apply to the university, answer other questions about university life, and refer students to the relevant staff/departments for more information.
- Providing support for the admission of undergraduate students
- Processing application forms (including data entry)
- Arranging and attending Open Days
- Communicating with UCAS about applications
- Communicating with students and their parents/guardians
- Representing the university and being the first point of contact for prospective students
- Promoting the university to potential undergraduate students
- Educated to A-level standard
- Clear and effective communicator
- Good IT skills
- The ability to work calmly under pressure
- Good interpersonal skills
Training is provided on the job in most cases. You will be taught about the processes of UG admissions and UCAS. The specifics of the system vary from university to university.
- £14,000 upwards starting salary for basic Admissions posts
- Salary progresses with experience and responsibilities
- Team Leaders and Directors can expect salaries from £30k+ (more for Directors)
- UG Admissions Officer
- Deputy Team Leader
- Team Leader
- Deputy Director
- Director of UG Admissions
- UK Universities
- HE institutions
PG Admissions Officer