Department of Mechanical Engineering
Faculty of Engineering
Engineering has always been at the very heart of Sheffield and the Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Sheffield is one of the UK’s leaders in the field. We are committed to maintaining our leading position in both teaching and research. Recruiting the very best people is central to our strategy for success. We are delighted to invite applications for six unique academic positions. To meet growing demand, we welcome applications in the areas of solid mechanics, composites, and aerospace structures. However, these academic posts are open to outstanding individuals in any area of Mechanical Engineering for appointment at Lecturer, Senior Lecturer or Chair level.
The key criterion for selection is your personal capacity to make an outstanding contribution to the Department, Faculty, and the University, as a research-led academic.
Establishing your research quickly will be a priority. To support you in achieving this, each post will receive an attractive package, including:
- An open-ended appointment at an attractive salary.
- An allocation of funded PhD places to support your research.
- A generous research start-up grant (negotiable depending on appointment level).
- Reduced teaching and administrative duties for the first 2 years.
- Access to a mentoring scheme tailored to suit your individual needs.
- Priority access to new laboratory space that is being commissioned.
We would also favourably consider research groups wishing to relocate, and we can tailor packages to suit the circumstances.
These roles have been identified as full-time posts, but we are committed to exploring flexible working opportunities with our staff which benefit both the individual and the University.
Report to: The Head of Department.
Closing date for all posts: 10 September 2012.