Scientific Services Representative
Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute - Biological Sciences
|Salary:||£31,033 to £39,142 p.a|
|Placed on:||22nd August 2016|
|Closes:||22nd October 2016|
|★ View Employer Profile|
We are seeking to recruit a highly proficient, knowledgeable and collaborative Scientific Service Representative (SSR) for the DNA pipelines department.
Using your technical expertise, you will be working closely with other SSRs and Product Leads to manage customer expectations and communicate operational activities of the team, including the timeliness and quality of data delivery within each product line. Dealing with changing priorities on a daily basis as well managing the performance of all immediate co-workers will be an ongoing challenge.
You will manage all aspects of the scientific study from ethical approval to budgetary control and provide supervisory support to junior staff to ensure quality and timeliness is maintained. Supporting the submission process, you will agree the service level for each project with the customer and provide details and support on submission requirements. You will be responsible for the uploading of study information to LIMS to support the laboratory process as well as generating routine monthly reports relating to finance and management information. Collaboration with all relevant parties to identify future pipeline demands, capacity and throughput issues will be of paramount importance. You will need to ensure full compliance with quality, SOPs and H&S procedures that all individuals adhere to existing risk assessments and SOPs and coordinate the preparation of new documents when required.
You will design and deliver appropriate training packages to less experienced members of staff, provide feedback regarding training progress, and make a formal assessment of their competency.
Particularly challenging aspects of the role:
- Coordinating numerous projects in parallel and working on several tasks simultaneously.
- Managing rapidly changing workloads and priorities against conflicting interests of multiple projects.
- Operating with a high level of independence and within fairly broad parameters.
- BSc in a biological science or equivalent experience.
- Sound understanding of the concepts and principles that underpin the science of the pipelines; clear knowledge of the product.
- Experience in maintaining and managing complex customer relationships over protracted time periods.
- Proven track record in customer facing role
- Excellent organisational and planning skills in managing competing priorities in a busy environment.
- A high level of interpersonal and communications skills.
- A collaborative nature; demonstrable experience and skills intact and diplomacy when dealing with difficult situations.
- Computer literate: LIMS and Microsoft Office programmes including Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Experience of working in a supervisory capacity.
- Administrative and/or vocational qualification(s).
The Sanger Institute is a charitably funded research centre focused on understanding the role of genetics in health and disease. Our goal is to provide results that can be translated into diagnostics, treatments or therapies that reduce global health burdens.
The Institute is located near Cambridge, UK on the stunning Wellcome Genome Campus. This growing and dynamic site is the British hub of genomic science.
Our Benefits include: Defined Contribution Pension Scheme, Group Income Protection, Healthcare scheme, Childcare Vouchers, Workplace Nursery and 25 days Annual Leave, increasing by one day per year up to a maximum of 30, plus Bank Holidays. We also have a gym, two cafes, dining facilities, and a free campus bus service.
Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute welcomes applications from all candidates irrespective of age, disability, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief, or marital or civil partnership status.
Please include a covering letter and CV with your application.
Applications will be considered on an on-going basis.
Share this job
South East England