|Location:||Cambridge, San Francisco|
|Placed on:||26th August 2016|
|Closes:||31st October 2016|
PLOS is a non-profit publisher and advocacy organization with a mission to accelerate progress in science and medicine by leading a transformation in research communication.
We are currently looking for a biologist with editorial expertise to fill a permanent position on the PLOS Biology Editorial team.
As an integral member of the editorial team of this leading open-access biology journal, the successful candidate will be responsible for recruiting and assessing research manuscripts, partnering with the Board of Academic Editors, handling peer review and commissioning articles for our Magazine section. At PLOS Biology we pride ourselves on providing a top class service to authors thanks to direct engagement with our editorial board and reviewers. The PLOS Biology editorial team works together to think outside of the box, to trouble-shoot and innovate when necessary to respond to the needs of the scientific community.
The position is available immediately, and candidates must be willing and eligible to work in either our San Francisco office, US or our Cambridge office, UK.
- Handle a proportion of research manuscripts submitted to the journal;
- Be involved with editorial writing, press releases, editors’ summaries, Open Highlights, blog posts and other related materials;
- Participate in the daily running of the journal, including the Magazine section;
- Undertake lab visits and travel to conferences to represent the journal and PLOS, and to recruit submissions
Qualifications and Experience
- A PhD in a relevant scientific discipline at least 2 years post-doctoral experience
- Editorial experience in assessing research manuscripts and handling manuscripts through peer review
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- A keen eye for detail, and outstanding organizational skills
- Ability to work collaboratively, and in response to firm deadlines
- A passion for science, scientific communication and open access
PLOS (founded as the Public Library of Science) is a non-profit publisher and advocacy organization located in San Francisco, CA, USA and Cambridge, UK. PLOS makes scientific research openly available to everyone online, free of embargoes and other restrictions. Our journals accelerate discovery by implementing innovative approaches to the assessment, communication and reuse of research.
PLOS strives to recruit talented professionals from many backgrounds and disciplines who share a passion for our mission. We offer a dynamic start-up culture and open, collaborative work environment together with a comprehensive compensation and benefits package.
If you’re passionate about making a difference in the dissemination of scientific research, explore PLOS for the next move in your career.
For more information about PLOS, visit www.plos.org
Application Process: Please apply on the company’s website https://recruiting.ultipro.com/PUB1003/JobBoard/f3fb362c-761f-0eab-0b95-2fb7b2ba04e5/OpportunityDetail?opportunityId=97b26c5c-a89e-4760-8acf-78f237e54a34
No phone calls or visits, please. Principals only – email from recruiters will be ignored.
Share this job
Type / Role:
South East England