University of Dundee - Biological Chemistry and Drug Discovery
|Salary:||£25,298 to £31,076 per annum|
|Contract Type:||Contract / Temporary|
|Placed on:||20th September 2016|
|Closes:||31st October 2016|
We are seeking a research technician to join the laboratory of Dr Alessio Ciulli at the University of Dundee to support an exciting drug discovery project funded by an industrial partner. The successful applicant will work as part of a multidisciplinary team interested in understanding and characterising Protein-Protein Interactions (PPIs) important to human biology and relevant to human diseases, and targeting them with drug-like small molecules. Our lab employs a wide variety of molecular cell biology and structural chemical biology techniques to address these problems.
The project aims to develop novel small-molecule ligands and chemical probes targeting Cullin RING E3 Ubiquitin Ligases (CRLs) - the largest family of multisubunit ubiquitylating enzymes – using structure-based drug design. The project will build on an expanding programme of research in this area in the Ciulli laboratory (for recent publications see Bulatov et al., Biochem. J. 2015, 467, pp 365; Zengerle et al., ACS Chem. Biol. 2015, 10, pp 1770; Galdeano et al.; J. Med. Chem. 2014, 57, pp 8657). This is a unique opportunity to gain experience in industry-style early-stage drug discovery within an academic setting.
Duties will include:
- Support, organise and ensure the practical aspects of the day-to-day running of the projects.
- Assist Researcher with protein expression, purification and in vitro biophysical and biochemical assay development for the project, including performing routine cloning of constructs and site-directed mutants.
- Contributing to the development and optimization of core molecular cell biology and biochemistry techniques and assays to support the project and the laboratory.
- Develop, maintain and curate the Lab’s bio-lab reagent database (plasmids, vectors, antibodies).
- Assist Researcher with developing, maintaining and curating of the group’s chemical database and inventory.
- Report directly to the Principal Investigator (Dr. Ciulli)
Your qualifications, skills and experience:
- Applicants should have good A-level or equivalent Higher qualifications, or a degree in a relevant chemical or biological subject.
- Previous laboratory experience of biochemistry and/or molecular biology techniques is required.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and computer proficiency are essential.
- Experience with culturing cells in Category 2 facilities is desirable.
- An interest in early-stage drug discovery would be advantageous.
The successful candidate will be based within the School of Life Sciences at the University of Dundee, one of the top life science research institutes in Europe for Biological Sciences. Comprising about 100 research groups, the highest number of citations-per-paper for biological sciences in Europe and over £100 million of research income in 2013, the School is equipped with outstanding laboratory and technology facilities to conduct cutting-edge research.
The post is available immediately and salary will depend on experience, but will be up to £31,076. The post is available for a fixed term period of 12 months in the first instance, with the possibility of being renewed for another 12 months in the first instance.
Informal enquiries may be made to Dr Alessio Ciulli, e-mail: email@example.com
The following vacancies are also available on this project:
Share this job
Type / Role: