Head of Orbivirus Molecular Research
The Pirbright Institute
|Salary:||£39,775 to £80,000 depending on band, qualifications and experience|
|Placed on:||3rd October 2016|
|Closes:||30th October 2016|
The Pirbright Institute is a unique national centre that works through its highly innovative fundamental and applied bioscience to enhance the UK capability to contain, control, and eliminate viral diseases of animals and viruses that spread from animals to humans. We thereby support the competitiveness of UK livestock and poultry producers, and improve the health and quality of life of both animals and people.
Location: This post is based at Pirbright Laboratory in Surrey.
Purpose: The purpose of the role is to lead a dynamic and highly collaborative research group in the area of virology with a focus on the molecular biology of orbiviruses.
Organisation Position: The post will report to the relevant Head of Research Programme.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide collaborative focus centred upon orbivirus molecular biology
- Drive the performance of excellent science through recruiting high quality staff
- Develop/validate cutting edge techniques for scientific exploration of orbivirus interactions
- Maintain scientific links with reference laboratories and international partners.
- Contribute to the evidence base for policy responses to orbivirus incursions in the UK and Europe
- Senior level decision making
- Act as a mentor to the next generation of scientists through doctoral and student supervision/community activities
- Act as a focus for outreach activities in virology, specifically in response to virus incursions
- Ensure biosecurity, health and safety and quality assurance are maintained.
This job description is indicative of the tasks, responsibilities and outcomes required of the role. The jobholder will carry out any other duties as may be reasonably required by his/her line manager. The job description and personal specification may be reviewed on an ongoing basis in accordance with the changing needs of the Human Resources department and The Pirbright Institute.
Benefits of the Post
The post is graded at a Band E-G and is an open-ended (indefinite) contact. The salary is £39,775 to £80,000 depending on band, qualifications and experience.
This is a full time role of 37 hours per week, Monday to Friday.
- Any offer of employment will be subject to security screening, health clearance, receipt of satisfactory references, and continued right to work and remain in the UK.
- The Institute is engaged in Research work on a number of virus diseases of livestock, several of which are highly infectious to livestock, compliance with the Disease Security Regulations is an essential requirement of employment.
- For those applicants where English is not their first language, please note that the successful applicant must be able to prove their ability to communicate in English.
How to Apply: To view or apply for this vacancy please visit The Pirbright Institute website, where an application form and further details can be found. Job reference 16P-55.
Person Specification Essential
- PhD or equivalent in a relevant branch of biosciences
- Significant and relevant post-qualifying bench experience in a recognised R&D environment
- An excellent record of research productivity
- The ability to produce a coherent plan of international-quality studies
- Effective and proactive leadership/project management
- Ability to think strategically in the procurement of external funding
- Capacity to understand how emerging technologies can be integrated into molecular virology
- A keen interest in integrating work areas using unique facilities/research groups
- Capacity to travel within the UK, with possible early starts and/or late finishes and occasional overnight stays
Share this job
South East England