Postdoctoral Research Assistant
University of Dundee - MRC Protein Phosphorylation and Ubiquitylation Unit
|Salary:||£31,076 to £32,958 per annum.|
|Contract Type:||Contract / Temporary|
|Placed on:||4th October 2016|
|Closes:||4th November 2016|
Applications are invited for a Postdoctoral Researcher to work in the laboratory of Professor Dario Alessi to focus on the development of novel antibodies to aid drug discovery and diagnostics in the LRRK2-Rab signalling pathway implicated in Parkinson’s disease. This position would include working closely with one of our Division and Signal Transduction Therapy Unit pharmaceutical partners (see below) on the design, development and detailed characterisation of antibodies to a novel group of targets. The candidate would explore new biology once the antibodies are developed.
We seek a talented and enthusiastic post-doctoral scientist who will be based at the University of Dundee with a good knowledge of biochemistry and antibody characterisation. Applicants should have a PhD in a relevant scientific discipline, such as biochemistry or similar, a good academic track record and have published at least one first authored paper in an international journal. Knowledge of cell signalling, Parkinson’s disease and cell biology would be an advantage, but is not essential. In addition, the candidate should be able to work independently and thrive in a multi-disciplinary research environment. Strong interpersonal and communication skills are essential as is the ability to work as part of a team. There would also be strong opportunities for interactions with leading scientists to accelerate the exploitation of discoveries.
- PhD with outstanding academic track record and at least one first authored publication in an internationally recognised peer-reviewed journal.
- Strong background in Biochemistry, Signal Transduction and antibody characterisation would be preferable.
- Experience and strong interest in signal transduction research and how disruptions of these pathways are linked to Parkinson’s disease.
- Capable of working in a team, but able to plan and work independently.
- Excellent communication skills and knowledge of the English language are essential.
- The candidate should have ambitions to become a successful independent researcher either in academia or the pharmaceutical/biotechnology industry.
The position is available for 2 years with possibility of further 2 year extension.
The position will be on the University of Dundee Grade 7 scale points 29-31 only.
Appointment as a Postdoctoral Research Assistant on the Grade 7 salary scale is dependent upon you having been awarded a PhD. An appointment may be considered if you are shortly expected to be awarded a PhD. The initial appointment will be made as a Research Assistant on the Training Grade 7 salary scale (Spinal Point 28, £30,175).
For informal enquiries please contact Professor Dario Alessi email@example.com.
Share this job
Type / Role: