Protein Development Lead
University of Dundee - Drug Discovery Unit
|Placed on:||12th October 2016|
|Closes:||13th November 2016|
Grade 8 (£39,324 - £46,924)
The Drug Discovery Unit is a dynamic and multidisciplinary group of 85 scientists with expertise in compound handling, assay development, high-throughput screening, medicinal and computational chemistry and in vitro and in vivo pharmacokinetics. The unit is housed in a state-of-the-art building and has cutting-edge equipment and automation for hit-discovery and lead optimisation.
We are seeking an experienced and motivated scientist to help develop and shape the systems, resources and for scaling production of novel proteins from our collaborating Principal Investigators for delivery as validated production protocols to our in- house Protein Production Team. This role is key to enabling biophysical and protein structure based drug discovery projects across our neglected diseases and innovative targets portfolios.
The role holder will be expected to contribute to current and future structure based drug discovery projects. This is a demanding, senior and influential role which offers scope for considerable career development. The successful candidate should have a high level of technical expertise in all aspects of protein scale up together with hands on knowledge of biophysical methods and protein crystallography as applied to drug discovery. The position will report to the Head of Biology.
Development and validation of systems and resources for scaling up protein from small scale to delivering validated protocols to our in house Protein Production Unit (80%)
Support for structure based drug discovery projects (20%)
- A track record in all aspects of protein engineering from construct design, production, purification and validation
- Hands on experience of utilising biophysical methods and protein crystallography in drug discovery with a demonstrable understanding of the range of protein constructs desired/required to support projects
- Excellent problem solving and creative thinking abilities
- Good interpersonal and leadership skills
- The ability to influence to gaining buy-in for implementation of recommended tactics and strategy
- The ability to work in teams, and to work to timelines and deliver milestones
- Self-motivated, able to work independently with minimal direction/oversight
Share this job
Type / Role: