Research Accounts Officer
University of Kent - Research Services
|Salary:||£26,829 to £31,076 per annum|
|Placed on:||14th October 2016|
|Closes:||31st October 2016|
Do you have a financial accounting background coupled with good interpersonal and communication skills? Does working in a university and research environment appeal to you?
Joining the Research Services team at Kent as a Research Accounts Officer, you will deliver a comprehensive post-award administration and financial management service for a portfolio of research grants and contracts held in designated academic schools.
This is an important role directly and proactively supporting academics holding grants with the financial management of their research projects from the initial set-up of the project to the project’s closure. This will include monitoring project budgets and expenditure, completing and submitting financial claims and reports and at all times maintaining close liaison with academics and their schools.
As Research Accounts Officer you will:
- Manage research grants and contracts for a wide range of funding bodies ensuring that all sponsor requirements and deadlines are adhered to and that University regulations, policies and procedures are complied with.
- Authorise and control expenditure against project budgets.
- Provide timely financial reports.
- Provide guidance, advice and support through regular liaison with heads of school, Principal Investigators and school administrators on the post-award financial administration of research awards.
To succeed in this role you will need:
- A professional accounting qualification such as AAT, or be working towards it.
- Proven experience in a financial accounting work environment.
- Good IT skills, particularly Microsoft Office packages.
- A high degree of numeracy and confidence with figures.
- Analytical skills, including an ability to identify potential problems and find solutions.
- This is a full-time role although applications from people wishing to work part-time will be considered.
If you have the skills and experience we are looking for, this could be an ideal opportunity for you to develop your career in a unique environment that offers excellent benefits and future prospects.
The Research Services office consists of 26 staff whose work covers the development of grant winning capacity, advice and support for staff preparing and submitting applications, the management of research contracts and accounts, development and maintenance of data bases and information systems to support and report on research activities, oversight of research governance and ethics procedures, and management of preparations for submissions to the Research Excellence Framework (REF).
Established in 1965, the University of Kent – the UK’s European university – now has almost 20,000 students across campuses or study centres at Canterbury, Medway, Tonbridge, Brussels, Paris, Athens and Rome. It has been ranked: 23rd in The Guardian University Guide 2017; 23rd in The Complete University Guide 2017 and 23rd in The Times and Sunday Times University Guide 2016.
Interviews are to be held: 11 November 2016
Please see the links below to view the full job description and also to apply for this post. If you require further information regarding the application process please contact Teresa Bubb, Resourcing Adviser at T.C.Bubb@kent.ac.uk.
Please note - applications must be made via the University’s online application system. CVs or details sent directly to the department or via email cannot be considered.
Share this job
Type / Role:
South East England