Lecturer in Roman History
Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia - Ancient History Department
£60,645.04 to £71,753.39 converted salary* p.a. (Level B), plus 17% employer's superannuation and annual leave loading.
|Placed on:||17th October 2016|
|Closes:||6th November 2016|
- Innovative and supportive academic environment
- Attractive salary package
Macquarie is the university of pioneering minds. Globally recognised as one of Australia's leading research universities, Macquarie is a place where extraordinary new possibilities come to light. We've helped people to hear, introduced wireless internet technology to the world and broken through traditional boundaries by appointing Australia's first female vice-chancellor.
Surrounded by beautiful parkland campus, our students and staff are free to explore and discover, supported by facilities including a high-tech library, private teaching hospital, gym and pools, childcare facilities, and a campus train station.
One of the leading arts and humanities faculties in Australia, Macquarie's Faculty of Arts is home to bold thinkers and passionate educators. United in the spirit of interdisciplinary discovery we explore the human story from its earliest foundations in ancient cultures to its exciting future. Our research is gaining global recognition and with two research centres, two museums and state-of-the-art media facilities, we empower our staff to transform themselves and the world around them.
Our growing Ancient History department is the largest in Australasia with teaching and research programs in the areas of Ancient Egypt, the Ancient Near East, Ancient Israel, Ancient Greece, Ancient China, Rome, Coptic Studies, Late Antiquity and Byzantium. We focus on the history, society, languages, religions, archaeology and material cultures of these civilizations, including papyrological and numismatic research.
About the Role
We are looking to appoint a highly motivated and enthusiastic Lecturer in Roman History.
The successful candidate will:
- deliver undergraduate and postgraduate units in the area
- be actively engaged in research
- supervise HDR candidates studying in the field of Roman history
To be considered for this position, you will demonstrate the requirements below in your CV and a 1-2 page cover letter:
- PhD in a relevant field
- Demonstrated experience in quality research/scholarship, which may be evidenced by an internationally competitive publication record and success in attracting research support
- Demonstrated ability to conduct lectures, tutorials, assessment and exam marking in the relevant discipline area and evidence of teaching quality at undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
- Record of contributing, or capacity to contribute, to administration in a University or professional setting and to interact within these settings.
- Record of enhancing, or capacity to enhance, the University's reputation through engagement with relevant external stakeholders.
Preference may be given to a candidate who is able to contribute to the teaching of ancient languages.
Salary Package: From $96,970 – 114, 732 p.a. (Level B), plus 17% employer's superannuation and annual leave loading
Appointment Type: Full-time, continuing
Enquiries: Dr Ian Plant, Head of Department of Ancient History on email@example.com
Applications Close: Sunday, 6 November 2016 at 11.55pm Australian Eastern Daylight Time (AEDT)
For more information and to apply, visit our website: jobs.mq.edu.au, and search under the job title or job reference number 498747.
Macquarie University is an EO Employer committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications are encouraged from people with a disability; women (particularly for senior and non-traditional roles); Indigenous Australians, people who identify as GLBTI; and those from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
Applications need to be submitted through the Macquarie University online recruitment system. Where circumstances such as disability or remote location prohibit your access to our online system please contact the enquiries person listed in this advertisement for assistance.
Share this job
Type / Role: