Medicinal Chemist (Grade 7)
University of Dundee - Drug Discovery Unit
|Salary:||£31,076 to £38,183 per annum (grade 7).|
|Placed on:||10th November 2016|
|Closes:||11th December 2016|
The Drug Discovery Unit (DDU) (see http://www.drugdiscovery.dundee.ac.uk) is a fully integrated drug discovery operation based within a world class Life Sciences research environment. Its remit is to complement BioPharma activities by tackling both neglected diseases (leishmaniasis, TB and malaria) and validation of novel drug targets across a range of therapeutics areas. The DDU works to Biotech style philosophy and standards incorporating, dynamic, goal driven project management based on Target Product Profiles and Compound Selection Criteria. The project goals are therapeutic area dependent but range from quality leads demonstrating disease model proof of concept, through to pre-clinical candidates.
We are looking for highly motivated medicinal chemists with a BSc or PhD in synthetic organic or medicinal chemistry. You will ideally have subsequent experience in the BioPharma industry. The posts will be primarily laboratory-based, and will work on areas from hit validation through to lead optimisation. You will be involved in the design and synthesis of lead compounds, to identify leads demonstrating appropriate pharmaceutical properties and efficacy in disease models.
You will be part of a BioPharma experienced multi-disciplinary team in the DDU. The post is available immediately. Salary will depend on experience.
- Contribute to hit validation, hits to lead chemistry and lead optimisation projects, to identify leads demonstrating appropriate pharmaceutical properties and efficacy in disease models, by designing and synthesising compounds.
- Analyse assay and pharmacokinetic data to design and synthesise target compounds.
- Prepare verbal or written reports as required.
Candidates must be professionally qualified with a PhD in a chemical science related discipline or alternatively a BSc in chemistry with subsequent experience of medicinal chemistry in the BioPharma industry.
- Expertise in synthetic chemistry route design.
- Significant experience in carrying out synthetic organic/ medicinal chemistry.
- Strong interpersonal, communication and presentation skills.
- Good time management, organizational and communication skills.
- A willingness to work flexibly to meet project milestones.
- Experience and background in Biotech, CRO or Pharma industry.
- Understanding and appreciation of the drug discovery process.
A Few Facts About the School of Life Sciences at Dundee
- The School of Life Sciences has over 1000 research and support staff from around 60 countries and external funding in excess of £100 million in 2013.
- Dundee has twice been named ‘the best place to work in Europe’ in a poll of scientists conducted by The Scientist magazine.
- Life Sciences at the University of Dundee is the highest-rated for Biological Sciences in the UK by the main standard of University research performance REF2014.
Dundee, set on the east coast of Scotland, has a relatively low cost of living. It lies in an area of outstanding natural beauty, including large sandy beaches and challenging hills.
The University of Dundee is a diverse community and is committed to equality of opportunity for all by providing a supportive, flexible and inclusive working environment. We have family friendly policies (including flexible working and childcare vouchers), staff groups for LGBT and BME; and prayer room facilities.
The University of Dundee has received the Athena SWAN Bronze Award (Athena Swan) which recognises the promotion of gender equality and has made further commitment to advancing inclusive culture which supports and encourages all under-represented groups.
The University of Dundee is a Scottish Registered Charity, No. SC015096.
Share this job
Type / Role: