Facility Manager/Service Group Leader in the Area of Plant Cultivation
Max Planck Institute for Plant Breeding Research
||Contract / Temporary
||18th November 2016
||3rd January 2017
The facility leader will be responsible for providing plant cultivation and care, including pest management, to support research excellence at MPIPZ. S/he will be ultimately responsible for optimal function of the site growth facilities which include a recently erected greenhouse complex and a suite of plant growth chambers. S/he will lead a team of 10 experienced gardeners and will also have a day to day involvement in plant care activities. S/he will work closely with research groups who use the facilities and will be involved in management, optimal deployment and regular training of the greenhouse staff and coordination of small field projects as required by the academic departments.
Essential qualifications are
- A higher degree in relevant discipline (agricultural specialist or horticultural engineer or equivalent). Biologists will also be considered provided they have experience and aptitude in horticultural management.
- Ideally at least 2 years work experience or postgraduate training in a relevant area. Professional experience in plant growth management in an internationally active research environment or equivalent in the private sector would be a strong advantage.
- High level knowledge in cultivation of plants including transgenic material for greenhouses and plant growth chambers. This includes technical expertise in temperature regulation, pest management, lighting, irrigation, ventilation.
- Fluency in English which is the working language of the institute is essential and knowledge of German would be an advantage.
- Demonstrable IT skills as required for carrying out job activities and communicating with research staff.
- Willingness to occasionally work on weekends.
- Strong management skills including the ability to lead and educate gardeners and to devise personnel retraining plans as appropriate.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills that will allow him/her to work at the highly international environment of the institute and support scientists and technical staff at different career stages.
- Remuneration will be according to qualifications and experience and the appointment will be made on the German TVöD scale with benefits in accordance with the German Civil Service. The appointment will be for 2 years in the first instance with longer term possibilities pending a successful evaluation.
The Max-Planck society is committed to increasing the number of individuals with disabilities in its workforce and therefore encourages applications from such qualified individuals. Furthermore, the Max Planck Society seeks to increase the number of women in those areas where they are underrepresented and therefore explicitly encourages women to apply.
Please send your application, CV, a detailed description of your previous career activities in a single pdf file by e-mail (preferably one pdf file) no later than January 3, 2017 to