Cloud Application Architect
European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL)
|Contract Type:||Contract / Temporary|
|Placed on:||21st November 2016|
|Closes:||11th December 2016|
Contract Duration: 2 years or until 31.12.2018
We are seeking to recruit a ‘cloud’ native experienced in porting and running scientific workloads in cloud infrastructures, to work on a new project – European Open Science Cloud Pilot.
The Cloud Applications Architect will support both internal and external teams through the European Open Science Cloud Pilot (EOSCPilot) project. Internally, within EMBL you will provide consultancy, practical advice and support for researchers looking to move their existing Bioinformatics pipelines to our internal ‘Infrastructure as a Service’ Cloud (the OpenStack based EMBL-EBI Embassy Cloud) and to external cloud providers such as AWS, Azure and GCP. External to EMBL-EBI you will work with researchers from all science disciplines to help move and support their applications to European Cloud Infrastructures.
Reporting to the Head of Technical Services, you will be expected to work with internal teams and project partners to:
- Assist researchers in porting their workloads to clouds by offering technical guidance & practical assistance in virtualising their workloads;
- Develop a deep understanding of their current service needs and future requirements for cloud infrastructures and communicate this internally within EMBL-EBI and EOSCPilot project;
- Shepherd the integration of the research groups and their workloads within the EOSCPilot project and representing their needs across the various stakeholders;
- Liaise with cloud providers in the commercial and public e-Infrastructure sectors to see how their services can be best used by the researchers.
EMBL-EBI operates a mixed VMware and OpenStack based virtualised cloud environment which is available for both internal and collaborative use. Our OpenStack based EMBL-EBI Embassy Cloud Infrastructure has over 6000 vCPUs and 4.5PB of storage.
Qualifications and Experience
- Degree level or equivalent qualification/experience in a Computational, Physical or Biological Sciences;
- Ideally 3 years or more experience as a user in OpenStack, AWS, GCP, Azure or equivalent cloud management frameworks running virtualised workloads (either in virtual machines or containers);
- Experience of having configured and managed Linux and equivalent systems (and their applications) in the cloud so that they meet the needs of scientific applications;
- Experience of communicating and working with expert technical users;
- Excellent communication (verbal & written English), negotiating and presentation skills;
- Ability to manage, balance and re-prioritise your time over a programme of activity to drive individual tasks to a conclusion;
- Be self-motivated and capable of working both independently and with teams both within and external to EMBL-EBI;
- Demonstrate solid problem solving skills and have experience of working to deadlines.
- Experience of working in a bioinformatics oriented academic or research environment;
- Experience of working within distributed project collaborations and an ability to work across multiple projects;
- Be able to travel within Europe (and occasionally outside of Europe) to meetings, conferences and workshops as required to represent EMBL-EBI and their work;
To apply please submit a covering letter and CV through our online system.
Applications are welcome from all nationalities.
EMBL-EBI is committed to achieving gender balance and strongly encourages applications from women. Appointment will be based on merit alone.
This position is limited to the project duration specified.
Applications will close at 23:00 GMT on the date listed above.
Share this job
Type / Role:
South East England