Post-Doctoral Research Associate in Interdisciplinary Policy Analysis
Leuphana University Lüneburg
|Salary:||Salary group E 13 TV-L|
|Contract Type:||Contract / Temporary|
|Placed on:||28th November 2016|
|Closes:||2nd January 2017|
Leuphana University Lüneburg (foundation under public law), Faculty of Sustainability, invites applications for the positions of a
Post-doctoral Research Associate (political / social / environmental science) – Wissenschaftliche/r Mitarbeiter/in, salary group E 13 TV-L, full time –
starting 1 March 2017 or later for a duration of 36 months (subject to final approval of funding). The position is appointed in the framework of a three-year research project funded by the German Research Foundation (DFG):
Governance of Environmental Sustainability in Telecoupled Systems of Global Inter-Regional Connectedness (GOVERNECT)
The project will be jointly situated at Leuphana University Lüneburg, Chair of Governance and Sustainability (Prof. Dr. Jens Newig, Dr. Edward Challies) and at the University of Osnabrück, Chair of European Integration (Prof. Dr. Andrea Lenschow), involving two post-doc positions in total.
GOVERNECT will study ecological sustainability problems which arise due to specific interconnections between distant regions (‘telecoupling’). Drawing on the literatures on global environmental governance, social-ecological systems, global production networks, multilevel and polycentric governance, and policy coherence and integration, we ask: What do telecoupled systems imply for the effective governance of global (un)sustainability? How do states, civic and private sector actors approach these mounting challenges? Empirically, the project aims to conduct one in-depth primary case study (soy commodity chain between Brazil and Germany) and around 15 comparative case studies. The project will develop explorative-strategic governance scenarios, engaging with relevant policy-makers and stakeholders and speculating on the plausibility, the likely effects, and the interactions of potential governance options.
A project summary is available at http://www.sustainability-governance.net/governect.
- participation in a high-profile research project with resources for field research and conference trips;
- a vibrant interdisciplinary research environment with excellent contacts to a range of international research groups.
Tasks and responsibilities of the Post-doc situated at Leuphana University Lüneburg include:
- Approx. 15 comparative case studies on tele-coupling such as commodity chains, epidemics, human migration, or other global flows, drawing mainly on available documents
- Empirical analysis of flows, actors, networks and environmental impacts
- Empirical analysis of existing institutional regimes governing environmental implications
- Governance scenarios in collaboration with high-profile stakeholders and policymakers
- Conceptual work, e.g. systematic review on governing globalized environmental issues
- Preparation and delivery of project workshops
- Preparation of articles to be published in international academic journals
The successful candidate should have a PhD in the social sciences (e.g. political science, planning, human geography), interdisciplinary environmental (social) sciences, or a related field.
Desired personal attributes include (please provide evidence for each of these in 100-200 words):
- Very good English language communication skills (written and oral)
- Publication experience in English language
- Experience with analysis of global and/or multi-level governance systems
- Experience with comparative case study analysis
- Experience with Qualitative Comparative Analysis (QCA) or other formal comparative methods would be beneficial.
Applicants should submit a cover letter, their CV; up to three writing samples; relevant certificates and transcripts (incl. Abitur / high school); and the names of up to three academic referees by 02 January 2017 as one single PDF to:
Leuphana University Lüneburg, Personalservice, z.H. Frau Severloh, Kennwort: GOVERNECT, Scharnhorststr. 1, 21335 Lüneburg, Germany, E-mail: email@example.com. For questions about the position please contact: Prof. J. Newig (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Dr. E. Challies (email@example.com).
Leuphana University Lüneburg is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering heterogeneity among its staff. Applications by qualified individuals are strongly encouraged. Disabled applicants with equal qualifications will be given priority consideration.
Share this job
Type / Role: