Strategy and Communications - Administrator
European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL)
|Salary:||Grade 3 or 4; depending on qualification and experience|
|Contract Type:||Contract / Temporary|
|Placed on:||23rd November 2016|
|Closes:||26th December 2016|
Staff Category: Staff member (Part-time 50%)
Contract Duration: 3 years
EMBL is looking for a friendly and highly organised Administrator to join our Strategy & Communications team at the EMBL headquarters in Heidelberg, Germany. This is a part-time appointment (20 hours per week) to be made on a job-share basis with another part-time member of staff. About EMBL
EMBL is Europe’s flagship laboratory for the life sciences – an intergovernmental organisation with more than 80 independent research groups covering the spectrum of molecular biology. EMBL is international, innovative and interdisciplinary – its 1600 employees, from many nations, operate across five sites near Heidelberg, Hamburg, Grenoble, Rome and Cambridge. Our mission is to perform basic research in molecular biology; to train scientists, students and visitors at all levels; to offer vital services to scientists in the member states; to develop new instruments and methods in the life sciences and actively engage in technology transfer activities, and to integrate European life science research. As Administrator you will be crucial to the smooth running of the Strategy and Communications team consisting of more than 10 writers, designers, web producers, analysts and communicators. We’re an international, friendly and supportive team, with ties to scientists and professionals throughout EMBL. Responsibilities include:
- Providing secretarial, administrative and organisational support to the Strategy and Communications team and the Science and Society Programme as required
- Scheduling and organising meetings with external and internal participants, preparing and distributing associated documents including minutes
- Establishing and maintaining efficient office procedures, including following-up invoices and maintaining files
- Managing the team calendar and making travel arrangements
- Managing supplier relations
- Maintaining and updating contact databases and circulation lists
- Supporting the organisation of a range of outreach activities and visits to EMBL
- Answering outside requests for information and composing routine correspondence
- Assisting in the preparation of publications such as brochures and newsletters where appropriate
Qualifications and Experience
You will have a friendly and positive manner, an outgoing personality and enjoy working in a team. Attention to detail, flexibility and excellent organisational skills are necessary in order to coordinate a range of activities in parallel.
Teamwork, demonstrated interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people in a multi-cultural environment are required.
Excellent written and spoken knowledge of English and German is essential. Knowledge of French, Italian or Spanish is advantageous.
Skills in commonly used office software are required, including Microsoft Word and use of internet.
Experience of working in an international environment would also be desirable.
Please apply online through www.embl.org/jobs
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation.
Please note that appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.
Share this job
Type / Role: