European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL)
|Salary:||£2,507 Grade 5/6, per month|
|Contract Type:||Contract / Temporary|
|Placed on:||24th November 2016|
|Closes:||16th December 2016|
Location: EMBL-EBI Hinxton
Staff Category: Staff member
Contract Duration: Until 31.12.2019
Grading: 5 or 6 (monthly salary starting at £2,507 after tax). For more information about pay and benefits click here
We are seeking to recruit an enthusiastic and talented Web Developer to join the Web Development team at the European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI) located at the Wellcome Genome Campus near Cambridge in the UK.
While part of the Web Development Team, your primary role will be developing the Open Targets web application. The Open Targets project is recently established public-private initiative between EMBL-EBI, GlaxoSmithKline, Biogen and the Sanger Institute, to generate and integrate evidence on the validity of biological targets for drug development.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Designing, developing and improving a robust, testable web application to facilitate target validation;
- Working with other developers in the team to ensure consistency in the web application;
- Working with scientists and UX professionals to ensure a positive user experience and an integrated display of information;
- Developing, integrating and maintaining visual and reusable components (e.g. BioJS, an open source data visualisation library) for data display.
Qualifications and Experience
Required skills include:
- A solid understanding of web application development processes, from the developing the layout/user interface to deployment and testing.
Additional desirable skills:
- Experience building Angular web applications (or using similar libraries/frameworks such as react, ember, backbone or knockout);
- Experience using responsive web design frameworks (for example SASS/LESS, Twitter Bootstrap, Foundation, etc.);
- Interest in data visualisation for the web (D3, Canvas, SVG);
- Interest in modern web technologies (ES6, Web Components);
- Understanding of web application security, scalability, performance and reliability;
- Experience in Python or node.js.
You will be integrated in a small web team and will interact with the UX and back-end teams, so as well as technical ability, you must be able to demonstrate the ability to work well with colleagues and to collaborate with external partners. You must have excellent communication and interpersonal skills and enjoy working in a stimulating and international culture. An interest or experience in science, especially life sciences, would be advantageous.
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme and health insurance, educational and other family related benefits where applicable, as well as financial support for relocation and installation.
If you’ve ever visited the campus you’ll have experienced first-hand our friendly, collegial and supportive atmosphere, set in the beautiful Cambridgeshire countryside. Our staff also enjoy excellent sports facilities including a gym, a free shuttle bus, an on-site nursery, cafés and restaurant and a library.
To apply please submit a covering letter and CV, with two referees, through our online system.
Applications are welcome from all nationalities - visa information will be discussed in more depth with applicants selected for interview.
EMBL-EBI is committed to achieving gender balance and strongly encourages applications from women, who are currently under-represented at all levels. Appointment will be based on merit alone.
This position is limited to the project duration specified.
Applications will close at 23:00 GMT on the date listed above.
Share this job
Type / Role: