The Pirbright Institute
|Salary:||£27,219 to £28,938 pro rata, per annum, depending on skills and experience|
|Placed on:||24th November 2016|
|Closes:||23rd December 2016|
The Pirbright Institute is a unique national centre that works through its highly innovative fundamental and applied bioscience to enhance the UK capability to contain, control, and eliminate viral diseases of animals and viruses that spread from animals to humans. We thereby support the competitiveness of UK livestock and poultry producers, and improve the health and quality of life of both animals and people.
The Pirbright Institute is situated at the Pirbright Laboratory in Surrey.
The successful candidate will provide administrative support enabling the supply of insects from our unique insectary facilities. The job will involve arranging orders and movements of insects to our internal and external partners, invoicing charges, maintaining websites and supporting the running of the insectary facilities through maintaining documentation and training records.
The post will report to the Insectary manager with overall supervision by the Head of the Entomology group.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Register new users and support insectary manager through the process of supply, liaising with customers and processing invoices
- Record number and types of insects supplied providing summary documents for reporting purposes
- Assist the laboratory manager and Head of Entomology in updating web-based resources
- Assist in producing documentation relating to health and safety and biosecurity
- Data entry
- Taking minutes of Insectary Users meetings
- Updating signage within the facility and registering users for security access
This job description is only an outline of the tasks, responsibilities and outcomes required of the role. The jobholder will carry out any other duties as may be reasonably required by his/her line manager. The job description and personal specification may be reviewed on an ongoing basis in accordance with the changing needs of the Human Resources department and The Pirbright Institute.
BENEFITS OF THE POST
The post is graded at a Band C and is an open-ended (indefinite) contract. The salary is £27,219 to £28,938 pro rata, per annum, depending on skills and experience. This is a part time role of 2 days/15 hours per week.
- Any offer of employment will be subject to security screening, health clearance, receipt of satisfactory references, and continued right to work and remain in the UK.
- The Institute is engaged in Research work on a number of virus diseases of livestock, several of which are highly infectious to livestock, compliance with the Site Handbook and related documentation is an essential requirement of employment.
- For those applicants where English is not their first language, please note that the successful applicant must be able to prove their ability to communicate in English.
Closing date: 23 December 2016
HOW TO APPLY
To view or apply for this vacancy please visit The Pirbright Institute vacancy website, where an application form and further details can be found (job reference 16P-73)
PERSON SPECIFICATION Essential:
- 5 GCSE’s (or equivalent) in Math’s and English
- Experience of administrative/secretarial duties
- Proficient in use of Microsoft Office
- Good communication skills
- Excellent organisational skills
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- A flexible and adaptable approach to work
- Tact and discretion
- A good team player
- Ability to multi-task
- Calm and professional manner
- Experience of taking minutes of meetings
- Experience of financial and project administration
- Experience/familiar with database management
Share this job
Type / Role:
South East England