Social Sciences Doctoral Scholarships
University of Essex
|Funding for:||UK Students, EU Students|
|Placed on:||30th November 2016|
|Closes:||12th February 2017|
Funding available for PhD research study in the areas of: economics, econometrics, government, politics, sociology, criminology, language, linguistics, business, management, marketing, entrepreneurship, accounting and finance.
We're a world leader in social sciences, ranked top 5 in the UK for research excellence (REF 2014). Our training of the next generation of social scientists is supported by the University of Essex Social Sciences Doctoral Scholarships.
If you have an excellent academic background and the potential for future achievement you could be eligible for the scholarship. Once awarded, you'll receive the scholarship for three years of your PhD (subject to satisfactory progression).
Our research students work at the heart of our well-connected research community. You’ll work alongside academics who are internationally recognised for the quality of their research. We are at the forefront of tackling the important issues facing our world.
Our participating departments are Economics, Government, Language and Linguistics, Sociology, and Essex Business School. For more information about studying at Essex, visit their websites.
Department of Economics
- Industrial organisation
- Economic history
- Economic theory
- Applied economics
- Labour economics
- Financial economics
- Public economics
- Development economics
- Monetary economics
- Management economics
- International economics
- Game theory and applications
- Search and matching
- Family economics
Department of Government
- Parties, elections, public opinion and political behaviour
- International politics and conflict resolution
- International and comparative political economics
- Political theory and discourse
Department of Language and Linguistics
- Descriptive linguistics
- English language teaching
- First and second language acquisition
- Language disorders
- Theoretical linguistics
Department of Sociology
- Criminology and social justice
- Culture and media
- Economic sociology
- Ethnicity and migration
- Citizenship and human rights
- Intimacy and gender
- Science in society
- Social theory and methodology
- Survey methodology
Essex Business School
- Accounting in the public and third sectors
- Business analytics and entrepreneurship
- Human resources, organisational studies and brand management
Are you eligible?
You can apply for this scholarship if you have been offered a place at the University of Essex for full-time PhD study starting in October 2017-18.
What funding is available?
The scholarship includes:
- a fee waiver equal to the Home/EU fee (international students will need to pay the balance of their fees)
- a doctoral stipend equivalent to the Research Councils UK National Minimum Doctoral Stipend (which was £14,296 in 2016-17)
- a training bursary of £250 per year
- Proficio funding, which can be used to 'buy' advanced skills training
How do I apply?
Complete the University of Essex Social Sciences Doctoral Scholarships Application Form online via your MyEssex portal. This will become available to you once you have received an official offer of admission for a relevant research degree from our Graduate Admissions Office.
When do I need to apply?
The application form must be submitted by 12 February 2017.
Share this PhD
Type / Role:
South East England