Job Purpose Summary:
The Vice President of Academic Affairs is the Chief Academic Officer of the university. The Vice President of Academic Affairs serves on the university’s leadership team and works with the President, the Provost, the Vice Presidents, the deans of the academic programs, and various university councils and committees to carry out the mission of the university. The Vice President of Academic Affairs represents the university to external constituencies in a manner determined by the President. The Vice President of Academic Affairs also represents the academic division to the President’s Council and the Board of Trustees. The Vice President of Academic Affairs is responsible for all operations of the university related to academic leadership, curriculum, personnel management for the academic division, and budget planning and fiscal management for the academic division. The Vice President of Academic Affairs supports and works in partnership with the faculty governance system. All academic areas report to the Vice President of Academic Affairs. The Vice President of Academic Affairs reports to the President.
Key Responsibilities and Duties:
- Provides leadership and vision for all academic programs;
- The VPAA is responsible for and shall advise the President on all matters of academic policy, planning and development;
- The VPAA provides leadership for academic program planning and development, educational policy, program assessment, faculty evaluation and faculty development;
- The VPAA is responsible for and shall advise the President on all matters of accreditation;
- The VPAA is responsible for and shall supervise and coordinate all academic activities of all Colleges, Centers and Academic Support Units within University;
- Chairs the Academic Dean’s Committee and works cooperatively with the deans to advance academic priorities;
- Provides leadership for the accreditation process, and upholds academic standards set by professional accrediting bodies.
- Assists in consideration and resolution of any academic problem affecting the University;
- Resolve academically related issues
- Works with the Academic Deans and the KIMEP Academic Council to formulate, maintain and implement a high-quality curriculum;
- Oversees and coordinates the activities of the General Education Program.
- Provides supervision for the Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs in the fulfillment of these and other related responsibilities;
- Advances the role of graduate education at the university and coordinates activities associated with graduate programs.
Faculty Development and Personnel
- Leads the university’s process for recruiting, hiring, developing, reviewing and retaining high quality faculty; Actively engages in decisions on faculty hiring, promotion and retention; Responsible for human resource management and logistics within the academic division.
- Makes recommendations, as needed, to the President’s Cabinet and the President for faculty appointments, retention, promotions, compensation, sabbaticals, special leaves, requests for reductions in faculty workload and other personnel matters including disciplinary actions;
- Promotes and supports the professional development and competency of the faculty and academic staff;
- Implements and ensures compliance with all personnel policies as outlined in the Academic Policies Guidebook and related university policies.
- Plans and implements academic administrative structures and support services;
- Assists in the development of human resource policies and plans of stuffing;
- Works in partnership with the faculty through the university’s faculty governance system as provided in the Academic Policies Guidebook;
- Works in partnership with all faculty committees;
- Supports the operations of the faculty governance system and faculty committees through staffing, communication, and record keeping;
- Manages the teaching faculty, in coordination with the College/School/Deans and Center Directors;
Budget Planning and Fiscal Management
- Works with the deans to plan, develop and implement the annual budget for the Academic Division of the university;
- Coordinates formulation of the budget for Colleges, Schools, Centers and academic support units;
- Provides leadership for budget management for the Academic Division;
- Provides leadership for long-term budget planning for the Academic Division.
Administrative Responsibilities and Office Management
- Collects, maintains and distributes information for effective administration of the university’s academic programs;
- Directs and works with the administrative and instructional leaders of each academic department or division;
- Supervises staff and coordinates the functions in the Office of Academic Affairs.
- Assists in staff and budget requirements for the University
- Assists in the development of strategic and operational plans for the University;
- Oversees the operations of the Library and Computer Services
- Serves on the President Cabinet, the senior executive, policy-making committee of the University;
- Represents the University in external and internal events;
- Acts as a representative of the university in other areas as required or as requested by the President.
- Performs any other duties as may be signed by the President;
The Vice President of Academic Affairs shall bear signature authority as recommended and enforced under power of Attorney and through internal Orders by the President.
- Terminal degree in discipline related to position;
- Five years experience in senior management positions in western higher education;
- Prior management ability of administrative teams;
- Fluent in English;
- Ability to work with complicated agenda and demanding deadlines successfully
- Proficient with all forms of communication technology
- Senior Level Management Experience up to 10 years in western higher education;
- International experience including Central Asia and Kazakhstan (helpful)
- Ability to speak in Kazakh and Russian (very helpful)
Letter of interest
Short-listed candidates will be asked to provide:
Two letters of references;
Teaching evaluations, if any.
Information and Application Process
Interested candidates should send a letter of interest attached with CV to e-mail: email@example.com or apply online through “Apply” button on this page. Please indicate VPAA in a subject of email with your salary expectations.
Only short-listed candidates will be informed
The city of Almaty is situated at the base of majestic Tien Shan Mountains in Southeast Kazakhstan. About 2 million people live in or near Almaty because it is the financial, cultural, summer and winter sports and cosmopolitan capital of Kazakhstan. Kazakhstan is located in the heart of Eurasia with important commercial inroads bridging Asia and Europe. Boasting the Silk Road of the 21st century, Kazakhstan offers unique positions in oil and gas, economic development, and trade. With a transitioning economy that has witnessed fourfold growth over the past decade, Kazakhstan's dynamically changing economic, social, educational and cultural environment provides incredible opportunities for significant and original research.
On this site, overseas organisations offer posts in overseas jurisdictions to which UK and EU equality law does not apply. Consequently, posts may be published which could be construed as incompatible with UK law, but which are entirely lawful within the employers’ jurisdiction, entitling them to publish the adverts accordingly.