Course and Conference Officer
European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL)
|Contract Type:||Contract / Temporary|
|Placed on:||20th March 2017|
|Closes:||16th April 2017|
Contract Duration: 3 years
The European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) is one of the highest ranked scientific research organisations in the world. The Headquarters Laboratory is located in Heidelberg (Germany), with additional sites in Grenoble (France), Hamburg (Germany), Hinxton (UK) and Monterotondo (Italy).
As part of the Course and Conference Office (CCO), based at EMBL Heidelberg you will fulfil EMBL’s mission to provide exemplary training for the life sciences, making the laboratory the leading meeting place for biologists in Europe. Join the team that delivers a world-class programme of international conferences, courses and events, primarily at the striking Advanced Training Centre. The ATC is EMBL’s purpose-built scientific conference and training venue, centred on a large auditorium, wet laboratories and computer-based training rooms and complete with social spaces designed to foster networking and collaboration. We offer an international working environment with superb benefits and facilities for staff.
Course and Conference Officers are responsible for the end-to-end production of their own assigned conferences, courses and events, working in collaboration with scientific organisers, external clients or partners. The current opening is for a rapid-learning and appropriately experienced events organiser ideally with the potential to start work in Heidelberg in June, training up to produce several of our leading conferences in late 2017 and beyond.
You will also provide support to, or work in team with other CCO events organisers on their projects, as assigned by the Head of the CCO.
- International liaison with scientific speakers and trainers from invitation stage through to event reimbursement
- Control of expenditure on assigned events, and delegated responsibility for individual event budgets
- Monitoring of registration fee payments, processing of speaker expenses ensuring adherence to policy and administration of grant allocations
- Working with customer relationship management databases and other events software to manage event registration, reviews, abstracts and other processes
- Creation, population and upkeep of event websites via content management systems
- Coordination of event logistics including catering, technical, transport, international travel and accommodation
- Programming of non-scientific content of events: social and networking provision, off-site dinners, excursions etc
- Working with the CCO Marketing Team, the EMBL Strategy and Communications team, internal and external suppliers to produce marketing materials and execute campaigns for the events.
- On-site coordination of events
- Preparing financial and statistical reports following events and collating information for funders and partners
- Actively contributing to projects and work groups to advance the continuous development of the CCO
- Building and maintaining good relationships with internal and external partners, scientific organisers and service providers
- Administrative functions necessary to the post
There will be an occasional requirement to work at evenings and weekends in support of the programme.
Qualifications and Experience
Your academic studies and your career to date in events coordination, conference production, courses or other appropriate projects will have prepared you to work on EMBLs busy programme. The CCO needs enthusiastic team players with impressive abilities to self-organise and prioritise so that they can support multiple event projects and tasks simultaneously. Strong administrative, coordination and customer service skills underpin your ability to communicate with and gain the confidence of our scientists, customers and fellow service providers at EMBL.
For more information and online application, please visit www.embl.org/jobs.
To learn more about working & living in Germany, please visit: www.jobs.ac.uk/germany
Share this job
Type / Role: