Staff Scientist in Micro- and Nanotechnology
Aalto University - Department of Electronics and Nanoengineering
£2,991.80 to £3,846.60 converted salary* per month
|Placed on:||6th April 2017|
|Closes:||30th April 2017|
Department of Electronics and Nanoengineering at the Aalto University School of Electrical Engineering is looking for a Staff Scientist for conducting technical service, research and teaching in the field of micro- and nanotechnology at the Micronova research facilities.
The Staff Scientist position is for an academic faculty member who is specialist in research work connected essentially to the use and development department´s large-scale research infrastructures and complex research equipment. Typical distribution of working hours: 50% service, 30% research, 20% teaching.
The tasks include:
- Coordination of major infrastructure purchases and installations
- Providing technically multitalented maintenance, training and development of the most demanding equipment in department's Micronova laboratories:
- MOCVD tools (3 units)
- Graphene CVD tool
- X-ray diffraction (XRD) system
- Scanning probe microscopes (SPMs)
- Lasers and laser systems
- Spectrometers and other optical setups
- SNOM and Raman microscope
- Taking care of the safety issues in the laboratory
- Performing of demanding specific tasks in the clean room (not routine maintenance)
- Teaching mainly outside classroom (laboratory work, instruction of BSc, MSc and PhD theses) and organize ELEC-E3280 Micronova Laboratory Course.
- Participate in high-school student teaching
- Participate in scientific project research and acquiring funding
- Support the department’s research groups in Micronova
- Other duties (lab IT maintenance and software licences, consumables logistics, visitors)
We expect you to have a proven track record for the tasks described above. Please clarify your relevant experience in your application.
- Doctoral degree in relevant field
- Demonstrated evidence of successful research work (good scientific publication record)
- Practical and professional work experience in the fields of:
- High power lasers
- Major responsibility of department activities (for example main user experience in major infrastructure or project management)
- Practical experience in teaching (for example lab work assistant, BSc / MSc instruction)
- Ability to communicate in oral and written English
Following will be considered as merits for the position:
- International experience
- Industrial experience
- Teaching portfolio and/or formal education in teaching
- Other duties at Department / University level
- Commitment and proven track record to acquire competitive funding
SALARY AND CONTRACT TERMS
The Staff Scientist position will be initially filled for 3 years, with a possibility to a permanent contract depending on the funding situation and performance evaluation. The expected starting salary is 3500–4500 €/month, depending on experience and qualifications, and it will increase with responsibilities and performance over time. The contract includes occupational health and social security benefits. The planned starting date is in Jul 2017, but can also be negotiated.
For additional information, please contact Professor Harri Lipsanen, or in recruitment process related questions HR Secretary Akseli Kohtamaki, e-mails: email@example.com.
Apply by submitting the following documents via recruiting system 1) application letter, 2) CV, 3) list of publications (with the 5 most significant publications highlighted), 4) research statement, 5) teaching portfolio (instructions: Teaching Portfolio), 6) references (names and contact information). Please apply via recruiting system by using "Apply for this job" link below. Deadline for applications is April 30, 2017.
ABOUT AALTO UNIVERSITY, CAMPUS AND FINLAND
Department of Electronics and Nanoengineering (partly in Micronova Nanofabrication Centre) is located at Aalto University Otaniemi campus in the Helsinki metropolitan area, Finland. Info about Finland and Aalto here.
Share this job
Type / Role: