Lecturer/Senior Lecturer in Social/Cultural Anthropology
Oxford Brookes University - Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
|Salary:||£33,943 to £48,327|
|Placed on:||7th April 2017|
|Closes:||9th May 2017|
Senior Lecturer £39,324, rising annually to £48,327 Lecturer £33,943 rising annually to £37,075
The Department of Social Sciences, Oxford Brookes University, wishes to appoint a Lecturer/Senior Lecturer in Social/Cultural Anthropology to join the group of Social and Biological Anthropologists in the Department of Social Sciences. The successful candidate will have research and ethnographic expertise that complements existing research strengths in the Department. The teaching attached to this post will include leading modules on Theory in Social Anthropology at second and third year levels. There is also scope for contributions to a first year introductory module and to modules on Anthropology in Action, and on Reading Contemporary Ethnography, and for developing a module linked to candidates¿ research interests and regional ethnographic expertise. Candidates will undertake research and publications that can be returned for REF purposes, and will be expected to contribute to teaching in Anthropology, including lecturing, examining, graduate supervision, pastoral care of students, and assistance with the administration and organization of teaching and research.
Applicants should have a doctorate completed in Social/Cultural Anthropology. Applicants need evidence of the following: a good track record as an active researcher commensurate with current career stage, active commitment to raise research funding, a realizable research plan, ability to supervise undergraduate students effectively, excellence or the potential for excellence in teaching, and a good record of collaboration and team-work. Applicants will be expected to contribute actively to the wider academic life of the Department and Faculty.
You will be responsible for:
- teaching students using appropriate instruction methods and setting and assessing students work.
- supervising and assessing students projects and dissertations.
- undertaking research leading to international quality publications, seeking funded research opportunities and engaging in scholarly activity.
- undertaking curriculum development work including planning, development, evaluation and updating of courses and course materials, and supervising course provision.
- caring for the pastoral needs of students including guidance in relation to their academic programme.
You should have:
- a PhD in Social/Cultural Anthropology
- experience of teaching or demonstrable ability to teach Anthropology at HE level.
- a proven research record commensurate with career stage
- research interests and ethnographic expertise that complement existing research strengths of the Department.
- have good communication and interpersonal skills
- have skills in working independently and as part of a team.
- be able and willing to undertake and, in some cases, lead on administrative duties and to participate fully in the Department and Faculty
Applicants are encouraged to contact the Head of Department, Dr. Chris McDonaugh (tel: 01865-483759/752, email: firstname.lastname@example.org) to discuss the post further. You may also wish to consult our web site at http://www.social-sciences.brookes.ac.uk/ for further details of Anthropology in the Department of Social Sciences.
Location : Headington Hill Site, Headington Campus
For more information : email@example.com
Share this job
Type / Role:
South East England