Assistant Professor of Comparative Religious Studies (0.8 FTE)
Radboud University Nijmegen - Faculty of Philosophy, Theology and Religious Studies
£2,870.46 to £4,464.41 converted salary* pro rata per month
|Contract Type:||Permanent, Fixed-Term/Contract|
|Placed on:||20th April 2017|
|Closes:||7th May 2017|
As an Assistant Professor of Comparative Religion you will teach Religious Studies, primarily Asian Religions and New Religious Movements, to undergraduates and graduates. Your duties also include individual supervision and tutoring of students, the development of new courses, conducting and publishing research and acquiring externally funded research projects. The research of the Chair Group of Comparative Religion focuses on the themes of death, ritual and religiosity/spirituality.
What we expect from you
- PhD in Religious Studies or a related discipline;
- research preferably conducted in East Asia or fieldwork on New Religious Movements;
- a track record of publications in leading international journals matching the duration of your professional experience since your PhD;
- publications on one or more Asian religions and/or New Religious Movements in line with the theme of the research programme ‘Religion and the Crisis of Meaning’;
- knowledgeable about Asian Religions and/or New Religious Movements and their influence in the Western world, preferably also about New Religious Movements influenced by Asian Religions;
- a Junior University Teaching Qualification (BKO) or equivalent, or willing to obtain such within two years;
- university teaching experience in the study of religion at various levels;
- initial experience with individual supervision of students preparing BA or MA theses;
- international orientation proven by participation in international academic networks and/or international educational experience;
- contribution to general public debates based on your academic expertise;
- excellent teaching and communication skills and ease in working with colleagues and students;
- excellent command of written and spoken Dutch and English (C2 level), or ability to acquire this level within one year (for English) or two years (for Dutch);
- the ability to acquire external funding for research.
What we have to offer
- employment: 0.8 FTE;
- in addition to the salary: an 8% holiday allowance and an 8.3% end-of-year bonus;
- the minimum salary is € 3,427 per month on a full-time basis, the maximum salary is € 5,330 (scale 11 or 12);
- depending on your profile, you will be offered a tenure track position with extension after two or four years;
- you will initially be appointed as an Assistant Professor, Level 2 (salary scale 11). At the end of the tenure track appointment, on condition of a positive evaluation, you will receive a permanent tenure. This tenure may take the form of an Assistant Professorship Level 1 (salary scale 12) or, in case of an excellent performance and an appropriate CV, of an Associate Professorship.
Radboud University’s policy is aimed at increasing the number of women in academic staff positions. Female candidates are therefore explicitly invited to apply. Start date: no later than 1 September 2017.
For more information about this vacancy, please contact:
Prof. dr. Eric Venbrux
Telephone: +31 24 3611741, +31 6 83995678
You should upload your application (attn. of Prof. dr. Eric Venbrux) exclusively using the button 'Apply' below. Your application should include (and be limited to) the following attachment(s):
- Motivation letter
- CV including a list of publications
- Teaching evaluations
As part of the selection process, you may be invited to attend an assessment centre and/or give a trial lecture.
Share this job
Type / Role: