Research Technician (HE)

      Share by Email   Print this article   More sharing options  

Job Description

Research Technicians work in a wide range of fields in the sciences and social sciences. They are usually based in one or more university departments and work on projects alone, or collaboratively with colleagues in the same institution or in another university. The hours of work are flexible to be determined by the individual depending on the needs of the project but researchers may have to work for long hours, especially as deadlines draw closer.


  • Plan research projects, including one's own role within it
  • Seek funding for the project from external and internal sources
  • Lead pilot projects/feasibility studies if required
  • Undertake research, either laboratory- or office-based or in the field
  • Record findings
  • Present findings to peers at conferences or in published articles
  • Keep records and accounts of the management of the project

Salary and Conditions

Many researchers do not have permanent positions; their jobs are on short-term contracts for the life of the particular project. Researchers can spend many years jumping from project to project without any real job security. Projects can last anything from a few months to a number of years. However, this flexibility and variety suits many people. The starting salary for a research technician is between £20-25,000.

Entry Criteria

Many research technician posts require a good undergraduate degree in a subject relevant to the subject to be studied. In addition to formal qualifications, employers are usually looking for a particular set of skills gained doing similar sorts of research, for example using certain statistical methods or certain pieces of equipment. They will also expect you to display in-depth knowledge of the overall field of research.

Career Path

Research technicians start out by assisting on someone else’s project usually for a period of a few months or a year. By doing this they gain experience and are then able to move on to longer term projects and managing their own budgets and staff at a more senior level.

Major employers

University-based research technicians are mostly employed in publicly funded universities or HE colleges. There are many different sorts of these in the UK. Oxford and Cambridge are the most prestigious, followed by research-based institutions such as the Russell Group. The post-1992 group of universities, which used to be Polytechnics, are also large employers of lecturers. There is one private university in the UK, based in Buckingham. Every large town or city in the UK now has its own university.

Similar Jobs:

Researcher (privately funded, commercial company)

Postgraduate student

Lecturer (HE)

Primary School Teacher

Secondary School Teacher

Share this article:

      Share by Email   Print this article   More sharing options  

What do you think about this article? Email your thoughts and feedback to us

Connect with us

method: articleAction method: setArticleToView