The University, situated in the ancient capital city of Xi’an, one of the four internationally renowned historical and cultural cities, was founded in 1944 under its original name "Shaanxi Provincial Teachers’ College", and then renamed "Xi’an Teachers’ College" in 1954. In 1960, it merged with "Shaanxi Teachers’ College" to become "Shaanxi Normal University". In 1978, it was brought under the direct administration of the Ministry of Education of China.
The University currently has more than1800 full-time teachers, among whom there are more than 470 full professors and more than 700 associate professors, with 72% of them holders of doctoral degrees. The University currently has 17,509 full-time undergraduate students and 18,229 postgraduate students, with more than 90,164 students in continuous education and long-distance learning programs, as well as more than 1,200 international students.
During its more than 70-year history in education, the University, while rooted in China’s West, has embraced the whole country, developed a school spirit of “Morality, Learning, Aspiration and Action” and has seen itself become firmly established in Western China as an influential top-tier comprehensive teachers training university, as it strives to achieve the goal of building itself to be a major comprehensive research university distinguished by its teacher education.