History and Origin
The history of the School of Foreign Studies (SFS) of Xi’an Jiaotong University (XJTU) can be traced back to the year 1897, just one year after the university was founded in Shanghai as Nan Yang College, and its name then was the Department of Western Languages.
SFS has established ties to 16 well-known universities of the United States, Japan, Germany, France, Australia, and other countries, and has implemented extensive exchange and cooperation programs. Each year, over 40 undergraduate students and over 10 teachers go abroad to study or participate in joint research, and more than 10 international scholars are invited to give lectures each year.
SFS is located in Shaw Yifu Building, which has classrooms equipped with advanced recording and multimedia systems, and a simultaneous interpretation training system. There is also a professional recording studio, an FM radio broadcasting station, and rich online resources for language learning. More than 30,000 volumes of books and dozens of academic journals are collected in the SFS library, which provides good resources for foreign language teaching and research.