|Salary:||£32,236 to £39,609|
|Placed On:||9th November 2018|
|Closes:||13th December 2018|
We wish to appoint Research Associates in the Cambridge Graphene Centre, to work on solution processed Graphene and Related Materials and Composites.
The aim is to develop a new class of composites able to exploit the mechanical, thermal, optical and electrical properties of graphene and related materials. The role holders will:
- undertake the optimization of inks, dispersions and composites based on graphene and exfoliated layered materials for a wide range of printing and coating techniques
- test the materials in transparent and conductive composites for photovoltaics, smart windows, touch screens, and flexible electronics devices in general
- develop stable, jettable inks based on such materials suitable for printing on a broad range of substrates including flexible, paper and textiles
- develop composites by combining two or more inks of different materials to fine-tune their properties
- develop conducting polymer/graphene-coated microfibers and characterise their structural, physical, electrochemical properties and electrobiological functionality, for electronic interconnection, surgical handling and chronic implantation
This is an ambitious frontier research program, with a strong interdisciplinary nature, across engineering, physical, chemical and soft matter sciences, and will require the optimization of inks and solutions based on graphene and related materials, as well as their incorporation in a variety of host substances, ranging from polymers, to glasses, metal, concrete, etc. with the aim of augmenting the mechanical, thermal, optical, or electronic properties of the host material.
Successful candidates will have a PhD in Physics, Chemistry, Nanotechnology, Material Science or Electrical Engineering. Preference will be given to candidates with proven expertise in preparation, optimisation, characterization of composites and inks based on graphene and related materials.
Experience in handing collaborations within EU/UK projects, including reporting with frequent, strict deadlines and attendance to project meetings is highly desirable, and experience of managing own workload.
The role holders will be located in Cambridge Graphene Centre, West Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, UK.
Research Associate: £32,236 - £39,609
Fixed-term: The funds for this post are available for 24 months in the first instance.
Once an offer of employment has been accepted, the successful candidate will be required to undergo a health assessment.
To apply online for this vacancy and to view further information about the role, please visit:
http://www.jobs.cam.ac.uk/job/19483. This will take you to the role on the University’s Job Opportunities pages. There you will need to click on the 'Apply online' button and register an account with the University's Web Recruitment System (if you have not already) and log in before completing the online application form.
Ensure that you upload your CV, covering letter, two reference letters in the Upload section of the online application. Additional documents not requested, will not be considered as part of your application. Submit your application by midnight on the closing date.
Please quote reference NM17337 on your application and in any correspondence about this vacancy.
The University values diversity and is committed to equality of opportunity.
The University has a responsibility to ensure that all employees are eligible to live and work in the UK.
Type / Role: