SUSTech Presidential PhD Fellowships
Qualification type: PhD
Location: Shenzhen - China
Funding for: UK Students, EU Students, International Students
basic stipend, plus a performance-based award of RMB20,000 per year
Hours: Full Time
Placed on: 22nd December 2018
Closes: 31st March 2019
For Admission into PhD Programs of Southern University of Science and Technology 2019 (For International Students)
Established in 2011, SUSTech is a public research university funded by the Shenzhen Municipality. It is positioned to be a top-tier international university that excels in interdisciplinary research, the nurturing of innovative talents and the transfer of new knowledge to practice. Located in Shenzhen, one of the fastest growing cities in China and the country’s window to the world, SUSTech enjoys strong connections with leading companies in China and renowned universities around the world.
SUSTech is comprised of the College of Science, the College of Engineering and the College of Innovation and Entrepreneurship. In addition, the College of Humanities and Social Sciences, the School of Business, as well as the School of Medicine and its Teaching Hospitals are being developed.
Over three hundred research projects were being carried out at SUSTech in 2017, with the total amount of funding exceeding 700 million RMB. Since its establishment six years ago, SUSTech has received funding for nearly 800 competitive public and private research projects with the total funding sum exceeding 1,300 million RMB. From 2015-2017, SUSTech’s Nature Index rose from 13.88 to 53.58, elevating its national Nature Index ranking from 55th to 28th among all mainland Chinese Universities.
About the PhD Programs
- Southern University of Science and Technology (SUSTech) admits PhD students in the research areas of all academic departments and offers PhD degrees in Mathematics, Physics, Biology and Mechanics.
- All PhD programs are offered in English.
- Students with a Master’s degree are expected to complete their PhD program within 4 years.
SUSTech Presidential PhD Fellowships
SUSTech offers the Presidential PhD Fellowship to full-time PhD students with excellent research potential. This prestigious Fellowship provides a basic annual stipend of RMB80,000 plus a performance-based award of RMB20,000 per year for around 50% of the Fellowship holders for a maximum period of 4 years.
Criteria for Presidential PhD Fellowships
- Applicants must possess a Master’s degree.
- Applicants should have graduated from a leading university in a country/region, and have demonstrated outstanding potential for research excellence.
- Communication and interpersonal skills as well as leadership abilities are also important criteria for the selection of Fellowship recipients.
- English language requirements: TOEFL 80 or above; or IELTS 6.0 overall or above, with no sub-scores lower than 5.5.
Tuition and Accommodation Fees
- Tuition fee: RMB10,000 per year
- Accommodation fee: RMB 1,300 per year for a single room in the graduate student dormitories.
- The fees listed above are for reference and are subjected to adjustment from time to time.
SUSTech PhD Programs cover 14 departments. Please visit the departmental websites for details of SUSTech supervisors and research areas. Departmental contacts for enquiries and receiving applications are listed below.
Department of Mathematics
Ms. Liu, Maths.firstname.lastname@example.org
Department of Physics
Ms. Li, email@example.com
Department of Chemistry
Ms. Lin, firstname.lastname@example.org
Department of Biology
Ms. Su, Swx_yzb@sustc.edu.cn
Department of Biomedical Engineering
Ms. Wang, email@example.com
Department of Mechanical & Energy Engineering
Ms. Xiao, firstname.lastname@example.org
Department of Electrical & Electronic Engineering
Ms. Song, email@example.com
Department of Materials Science & Engineering
Ms. Lian, firstname.lastname@example.org
Department of Mechanics & Aerospace Engineering
Ms. Yang, email@example.com
Department of Computer Science & Engineering
Mr. Zhang, firstname.lastname@example.org
Department of Ocean Science & Engineering
Ms. Guo, email@example.com
Department of Earth & Space Sciences
Ms. Chen, firstname.lastname@example.org
Department of Finance
Ms. Wang, email@example.com
School of Environmental Science & Engineering
Ms. Su, firstname.lastname@example.org
How to Apply
1. Application deadline:
March 31, 2019. Please email the application documents to departmental contacts listed above. Subject of email: Application for SUSTech PhD Admission 2019 – International Student - Name
2. Application Documents (PDF version):
- Application Form (Please download the “Application form-SUSTech PhD” from http://gs.sustc.edu.cn/zhaoshengQ&A)
- Personal Statement, in Chinese or English, which should include study and work experience, reasons for application and study proposal. No fewer than 1500 words.
- Degree certificates and academic transcripts, which must be original documents or notarized copies. If applicants are university students, they shall also provide an official pre-graduation certificate/letter showing their student status and stating the expected graduation date. For all documents in languages other than Chinese or English, notarized copies of translations in Chinese or English need to be provided.
- Photocopies of language proficiency certificates.
- Two letters of recommendation with appropriate contact details, in Chinese or English.
- Other documents that prove academic abilities.
Departments may require hard copies of the above documents. Application materials will NOT be returned regardless of the result of application.
Evaluation and Admission
Applications will be considered on the basis of the documents provided by the applicants. An interview and/or additional tests may be needed.
Offer letters will be issued to the successful applicants by the SUSTech Graduate Admission Office following the release of the application outcomes.
SUSTech Graduate School
Graduate School webpage: http://gs.sustc.edu.cn/
SUSTech webpage: http://sustc.edu.cn/en
To apply to join our team, please click the apply link below and provide the following documents:
- Curriculum vitae
- PhD certificate
- Five published articles (Within the last five years)
- Executive summary of academic achievements & proposed research or work plan (1000 words)
- Letter of recommendation and the names and email addresses of 3 referees (university professors)