Tortoise is a different kind of newsroom. Not chasing breaking news, but revealing what’s driving it. As part of our mission, we are building an innovative new Index platform to organise data around our five themes – technology, identity, ageing, finance, natural resources – and provide a systematic and visually powerful way to monitor and report on these issues. This is a great opportunity to grow a high profile career in data analysis.
What are my roles & responsibilities?
You will have day-to-day operational responsibility for managing the research teams that are working on each of the Indices under development.
- Coordinate multiple ongoing and future index projects, ensuring they are delivered on time and within budget, and to the expected quality.
- Help to recruit researchers and analysts, and manage their work.
- Track and report costs and resourcing across indices.
- Liaise with our network of renowned external experts to ensure that they are kept up-to-date with progress and that we capture and respond to their recommendations and feedback.
- Keep our team of journalists up to date with our findings, and help them explore story angles surfaced from our research.
- Prepare pitch documents and do research on current and future indexes with regards to concept, methodology and data sources.
- Work with our technical partners to build and streamline our index production pipeline.
- Help to organise and present the work of Tortoise’s Intelligence team at conferences, meetings, and internally.
- Stand in for the Director in her absence.
Oversight of the data analytics function at Tortoise
While the detailed research for each Index will be carried out by a dedicated team, you will need to supervise and support their work, and ensure that it meets our high standards. The research teams will look to you for leadership on data analytics, and you will provide help with their activities such as:
- Research and sourcing of data, data analytics, and data visualisation.
- Explore ideas using statistical tools and presenting them to those who are unfamiliar with analytics
- Collaborating with reporters, researchers, editors, and designers to create a finished product
- Overseeing the data work of editorial and design.
Manage communications for policy makers, journalists, members, partners, our high-level experts and others who are following our work. This may include email newsletters, social media, and podcasts.
Useful knowledge, skills and experience
- Strong project and team management skills.
- Strong analytical skills with a good understanding of statistics and statistical analysis, and experience handling various data sets.
- Strong communication skills, ability to communicate complex and technical information to a non-technical audience.
- Proactive and well organised.
- An understanding of how data can inform storytelling and journalism.
- Degree-level qualification.
- Experience of visualising data, using either tools or scripts
- Experience working on Indices
- Experience with data analytics package like R, Python, or others.
- Experience of GIS or other mapping software
- Ability to clean, parse and query data
For more details and to apply, visit http://tortoiseintelligence.com/careers