Assistant Professor / Lecturer (2020*) Salary Scale: €54,849 – €86,235 p.a (7 points)
Assistant Lecturer (2020*) Salary Scale: €34,746 – €60,985 p.a (14 points)
*New entrants to the public sector will be appointed on the first point of the Assistant Lecturer (2020) payscale, or the Lecturer (2020) payscale.
Maynooth University is committed to a strategy in which the primary University goals of excellent research and scholarship and outstanding education are interlinked and equally valued.
We are seeking an excellent academic to join our staff as an Assistant Professor/Lecturer in Spanish and Latin American Studies with a specialism in one of the two following areas:
- Translation Studies (to include literary translation; intermediality and intralingual translation; scientific, technical, and commercial translation; and/or the use of digital technology in translation);
- Language Education (to include second-language pedagogy, as it relates to Spanish; language teaching and learning; second-language assessment and testing, as they relate to Spanish; and/or the use of digital technology to support the teaching and learning of Spanish).
The person appointed will have a proven record of teaching, research, and publication, appropriate to career stage. He/she/they will be expected to make a strong contribution to the teaching programme of the School and Spanish and Latin American Studies section and undertake teaching duties on the School’s undergraduate and postgraduate programmes as well as the supervision of Master’s and PhD students.
The appointee will be expected to build a strong research profile that supports the University’s research strategy, including affiliating to the Research Institutes, where appropriate, and working with colleagues on national and international research. The appointee will be expected to sustain and conduct research, engage in scholarship of quality and substance, and generate publications of international standard.
Undergraduate and postgraduate teaching duties are assigned by the Head of the School. The duties will include:
- Teaching and assessing students at undergraduate level in both language and content modules. Capacity to design and deliver undergraduate modules in translation is highly desirable. This may include lecturing, delivering tutorials, leading practical learning activities, project supervision, and setting, supervising and grading assessments;
- Teaching, supervising and assessing postgraduate students in both language and content modules. Capacity to design and deliver postgraduate modules in translation is highly desirable. This may include lecturing, leading seminars and other learning activities, supervision of student research activities, and setting, supervising and grading assessments;
- Supporting and innovating teaching and assessment practice;
- Contributing, as required, to the assurance and enhancement of the quality of teaching;
- Outreach and promotional activities and the recruitment and selection of undergraduate and post-graduate students;
- Developing and enhancing the curriculum;
- Designing and delivering new courses.
Research & Scholarship:
Building a research and scholarly profile is an essential part of an academic career. This will include:
- Conducting research and engaging in scholarship of quality and substance in the discipline;
- Generating external income or securing resources to support scholarly activity as necessary;
- Disseminating research and scholarly outcomes through: peer reviewed publication; presentation at national and international conferences; preparation of professional reports; commercialisation; or other appropriate means;
- Affiliating with a University Research Institute, where appropriate;
- Building research capacity;
- Fostering links with other institutions which will benefit both research and teaching at Maynooth University;
- Integrating research into the teaching curriculum;
- Supervising research students and post-doctoral fellows.
For further details including full comprehensive job description please see reference number 009502 on the Maynooth University vacancies page at: www.maynoothuniversity.ie/human-resources/vacancies