Director of Education, Research and Development Institute (ERDI), IME
Xi'an Jiaotong - Liverpool University – School of Intelligent Manufacturing Ecosystem
CONTRACT TYPE: Fixed-Term/3-year contract, renewable. 3rd contract is open-ended
Located in Suzhou, China, Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) is a young, dynamic and EMI university founded in 2006, and is a unique collaborative institution and first joint-venture university in China to offer both UK (University of Liverpool) and Chinese (Ministry of Education) accredited undergraduate degrees for more than 100 programmes. XJTLU also aims to become truly research-led and has committed significant investment into research development and the expansion of master’s and PhD student numbers on campus. The university has over 18,000 students and nearly 1000 academic staff representing in excess of 90 nationalities. For detailed information about the university, please visit www.xjtlu.edu.cn
The School of Intelligent Manufacturing Ecosystem is one of the 6 – 10 industry-themed Schools in the XJTLU Entrepreneur College (Taicang). Each School consists of an Education, Research and Development Institute (ERDI) for teaching and research collaboration, a one-stop School Office providing professional services to support student administration and activites, members of staff, and industry partners, and an affiliated School Joint-Venture Company jointly established by XJTLU and the School’s partner for industry-embedded teaching, learning, practical, and other activities.
The School’s Education, Research and Development Institute (ERDI) is comprised of the Director, Programme Director(s), academic and research members of staff.
The School of Intelligent Manufacturing Ecosystem was jointly developed by the Departments of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, and Computer Science and Software Engineering, as well as an industry partner – Haier, to deliver industry-themed programme(s). The partnership between XJTLU and the industry partner is non-exclusive. The first degree programme that the School has launched for the Academic Year 2019/2020 is BEng Intelligent Manufacturing Engineering.
Industry Partner Overview
The founding partner working in collaboration with XJTLU to co-develop the School of Intelligent Manufacturing Ecosystem is Haier Group.
Haier Group is a leading global provider of better-life solutions. In the process of continuous entrepreneurial innovation, Haier has transformed from a traditional manufacturing enterprise into a win-win IoT community ecology, leading global companies to take the lead in detonating the Internet of Things economy. More information please see http://www.haier.net/en/.
Responsibilities and Duties
The Director of ERDI is a member of the School Management Team. The School Management Team is led by the Dean of School and comprised of the Director of ERDI, the CEO of School JV Company, and the Director of School Office. The main duties of the Director of ERDI include:
- Work collaboratively with the Dean of School to:
- Design, implement, and provide ongoing monitoring of the School’s teaching and learning, research, industry partnerships, engagement, and innovation strategies.
- Lead and manage the School’s business engagement initiatives with a view to building an extensive portfolio of potential industry collaborative partnerships.
- Promote, manage and contribute to the delivery of an effective programme of continuous development for academic members of staff to ensure they are equipped and supported to deliver high quality teaching and student experience, excel in their research, and contribute effectively to the School, College, and University.
- Create, nurture, and support a healthy research environment, with agreed annual research outcomes and expectations.
- Drive an emphasis on impact-creation through sustainable and unique value proposition in improving the School’s funded quality research and innovation and/or knowledge exchange activities.
- Identify and implement strategies to maximise grant capture and research income, from both external funding bodies and business/industry.
- Work collaboratively with Programme Director(s), academic members of staff, and School Office to:
- Promote, manage and contribute to the delivery and development of appropriate undergraduate and postgraduate degree programmes to the required standards expected by the ministry, university academic regulatory framework, and where necessary, appropriate professional, statutory and regulatory bodies.
- Promote best practice in relation to innovative assessment design across the School, ensuring efficiency and effectiveness in the delivery of appropriate assessment and feedback to meet the needs of all stakeholders.
- Ensure that the school and curriculum design delivers an inclusive, enriching, and enabling learning experience, as evidenced through student satisfaction, personal development and positive degree outcomes, and to work with industry partners to achieve this.
- Lead the continuous development and improvement of the VLE and technology-enhanced teaching to enable and support academic staff’s engagement in approaches that promote student-led learning and supports student success.
- Work collaboratively with relevant School(s), College and University entities to identify opportunities for meaningful and genuine partnership and successful impact-creation for research.
- Manage investment funds which have been agreed by the Dean of School, Associate Principal, Principal or XJTLU Dean for Research, for Research and Innovation.
- Represent the Dean of School when necessary, within the College, University and externally as appropriate.
- Any other appropriate tasks assigned by the Dean of School.
Any other appropriate tasks assigned by the University SMT, School Council or Taicang Leadership Team through the Dean of School.
This role will attract academic leaders embodying Syntegrative Education (SE) values and are passionate in engaging in a future-focused co-learning ecosystem comprising students, academics, practitioners, university, industry, and community. The Director of ERDI is a leader who thrives by creating impact through managing, nurturing, and enabling authentic engagement, cross-boundary collaboration, collective learning and discovery programmes and activities. The Director of ERDI adopts a systems mindset, understands transdisciplinarity and complexity, uses his/her knowledge, skills, and experiences to deliver success and create impact for the School, College and University.
- Candidates must hold a doctoral (normally PhD) degree in mechanical, manufacturing, advanced/intelligent manufacturing, mechatronics, electrical and electronics, controls, materials, or robotics engineering; industrial/engineering management, internet of things, artificial intelligence, data science and analytics from a world renowned university, or able to demonstrate an equivalent professional practice and engagement to a similar level.
- Clear understanding of the philosophy and concept of Syntegrative Education (SE) and demonstrable past teaching/industry/leadership experiences or practices aligned with Syntegrative Education (SE).
- Candidates shall become familiar with and observe China and United Kingdom’s rules, regulations, and expectations of higher education.
- Candidates shall have outstanding leadership and management experience, and ability to motivate and inspire teams with excellent people skills.
- Candidates must have a national/international reputation and demonstrate impacts in any of the research and innovation fields relevant to the School.
- Candidates are expected to have a good sense of the technology trends and relevant research experience on industrial projects. Candidates should have the experience to cooperate with industrial partners to develop R&D projects.
- Candidates must have rich experience in teaching, research, academic leadership, innovation and entrepreneurship, strategic planning and financial management in a university and/or business environment.
- Excellent networking skills and an ability to build and nurture external contacts and partnerships, working with business other organisations in the area of innovation and business support to the benefit of the school.
- Excellent organisational, implementation and monitoring skills to deliver successful outcomes.
- Candidates must demonstrate a good track record of engagement with students and industry.
- Candidates must have a high level of communicative competence in English; an equivalent knowledge of Chinese would be an advantage.
- Candidates with administration and management experience in international universities or Sino-foreign joint universities would be an advantage.
- Some experience of working in a relevant industry would be an advantage.
Members of Academic Staff are entitled to subsidies for accommodation, travel, and children’s educational, medical insurance, and a one-time relocation allowance is provided. Overseas staff may receive a tax “holiday,” depending on nationality and personal circumstances.
Citizenship and Visa Regulations
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 65 may be not eligible for a work visa in the P.R. China.
Please submit your applications online, here.
Applications must be submitted in a single PDF file that includes 3 parts in the order of:
- An extended cover letter consisting of
- point-by-point address of your qualifications and suitability for the role using the selection criteria above
- your vision for the school in the short, medium and long term (one-page maximum)
- A comprehensive and up-to-date CV that should also indicate your country/countries of citizenship, current location and country of residence, and highest education level
- Contact details for three references (at least a reference from current or most recent employer. Preferably current employer *and* last employer)
For further information and an informal discussion, please contact Professor Eng Hwa Yap, Dean of School by email at EngHwa.Yap@xjtlu.edu.cn.
If you are unable to apply on-line please contact the Human Resource Office.
Applications should be received by the closing date stated above.