Contract: Hybrid or at any of our hubs
This is an exciting opportunity to develop a new, innovative open research product called Octopus. Octopus will allow researchers to publish their work for free at any stage in the research process. We are looking recruit a product manager who is driven by the principles of open research and has the skills required to deliver this product to researchers and to grow a user base.
We believe in ‘Technology for Good’ – in improving lives through education and research. Our people want to make a real change – at Jisc, everyone plays a key role and gets the chance to feel part of it, that to us is the definition of a meaningful career. Being a social enterprise means that no matter how small our individual actions are, the positive impact on our collective is huge.
We’re a place unlike any other, where the best of education fuses with the best of technology to create a unique model with unique opportunities and interesting problems to solve in a diverse and inclusive environment. It’s what keeps our work varied, original and surprising – and that’s why we love it.
We’re gearing up for our most exciting chapter yet – one with the chance to both build new systems and make our mark by improving old ones. Our story will be written by those ready to take on challenges and see them through; the kind of people who never stop learning, celebrating differences and using it to drive better solutions.
We know that sometimes people can be put off applying for a job if they think they can’t tick every box but we realise the ‘perfect candidate’ doesn’t exist. So, if you can do most of what we’re looking for, go ahead and apply. You could be exactly what we need!
We’re ideally looking for someone with:
• Experience of engaging with researchers and other stakeholders in the research community
• Knowledge and understanding of the scholarly publishing ecosystem
• A broad understanding of product management and the product lifecycle
• An understanding of agile/design thinking approaches of product development
• A good understanding of the global open research agenda and the processes and technology that underpin it
• Effective strategic problem solving and creative decision-making skills
Our vision at Jisc is for the process, management and outputs of all research to be as open as possible, as early as possible, so that it can provide the maximum possible benefit to all.
In the first year of the role, you will work cross-functionally to guide? Octopus, an innovative research publication platform, from prototype to launch. Developed by Dr Alexandra Freeman, Octopus breaks down the publication of scientific research into eight elements, unlike a traditional journal article.
The platform is free for researchers to publish their work, free for anyone to read and embeds the principles of openness and transparency throughout. Its aim is to reset the incentive structure in research to reward best practice in every aspect of the scientific process.
This exciting role will involve some of the following:
• As a product manager, you will advocate for your product(s) internally and externally and play a pivotal role in enhancing product functionality and developing
new products, contributing to the enhancement of the overall customer experience of the services.
• You will be responsible for creating, maintaining and communicating a clear vision for each product you own - working with relevant colleagues to ensure the
vision is delivered.
• You will work with the head of new product development and key partners to develop product roadmaps, gather requirements and communicate these to
internal and external stakeholders.
• Adopting scrum values, you will own your product backlogs and prioritise the features/ enhancements/ increments that will achieve the best value for the customer delivering benefits early, or providing a solid mandate for continued development and investment into emerging innovative new products.
Why work at Jisc:
We want to make sure our people have the flexibility they need to balance their personal lives and do well at work. So, we focus on outputs rather than presenteeism and are open to a whole range of ways of working, including flexible hours and working from home.
We’re always learning and developing. All our people have access to a huge variety of learning resources to help them achieve this.
Our benefits are great too. We offer:
• 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays and three additional days Christmas closure) and flexible agile working
• A range of health and wellbeing benefits, including access to wellbeing support
• The option to join a generous pension scheme
• A wide range of discounts, a cycle scheme, financial wellbeing savings and season ticket loans, as well as a range of other benefits
• We also offer generous parental leave arrangements, career breaks and volunteer leave
Connecting with each other is easy, thanks to our technology but getting face to face is something we value and find time for when we can. Our main offices are Bristol, London, Harwell and Manchester, so you may need to travel on occasion.
Other stuff you need to know:
At Jisc we celebrate diversity and know that it is critical to our success. We work hard to make sure we’re inclusive. So, if you’re great at what you do and share our values, we want to hear from you.
Let us know if you need any adjustments made to the application or selection process so you can do your best. We’ll be happy to help.
Just so you know, we review CV’s when we receive them , and interview as soon as we have applications that look like a good match.
We don’t usually use closing dates, so apply as soon as you can to avoid missing out. We advertised this role on 22/09/21.
|Location:||Belfast, Bristol, Cardiff, Cheltenham, Glasgow, Harwell, London, Manchester, Work from Home|
|Salary:||From £40,000 per annum when working full time|
|Placed On:||27th September 2021|
|Closes:||24th November 2021|
Type / Role: