About the team/job
ELIXIR is seeking an collaborative self-starter to join us as an Industry Officer.
You will be joining the External Relations team within the ELIXIR Hub, which is the headquarters for ELIXIR, an intergovernmental organisation for life science data. ELIXIR unites Europe’s leading life science organisations in managing and safeguarding the increasing volume of data being generated by publicly funded research. ELIXIR is a distributed research infrastructure - it coordinates, integrates and sustains bioinformatics resources that are run by ELIXIR Nodes in each member state.
The main purpose of this role is to implement, monitor and review ELIXIR’s Industry Strategy, which sets out how ELIXIR supports and collaborates with companies across the life science and IT sectors. The role will include representing ELIXIR on industry-related activities within three current EU-funded projects - ELIXIR-CONVERGE, BY-COVID and FAIRPlus – with an expectation of engaging in industry-related activities on future external grants awarded to ELIXIR.
This is an exciting role where opportunities for new activities will emerge constantly. You will work closely with ELIXIR Nodes, understanding their current industry engagement activities and seeking new opportunities to collaborate with industry initiatives, ensuring that industry can benefit from the services coordinated by ELIXIR.
- Implement, monitor and review ELIXIR’s Industry Strategy.
- Develop effective communication between ELIXIR and industry, working closely with ELIXIR’s Communications Officers.
- Provide support to ELIXIR Nodes’ industry contacts to facilitate information exchange and support capacity building so they can establish effective national engagement schemes with industry.
- Outreach to key industry organisations and initiatives such as EFPIA and Pistoia Alliance as well as others.
- Run virtual and face-to-face events in collaboration with ELIXIR Nodes and external stakeholders such as the successful ELIXIR Innovation and SME Forum and the ELIXIR Bioinformatics Industry Forum (EBIF).
- Support ELIXIR’s Industry Advisory Committee through the preparation of meeting agendas, discussion topics, committee documents and implementing follow up actions.
- Support the successful rollout of the ELIXIR Knowledge Exchange Scheme (EKES) to facilitate knowledge exchange between ELIXIR and industry, including collating and reviewing proposals and assessing the impact of funded projects.
- Represent ELIXIR in external meetings and conferences focussed on industry, as well as giving presentations to a variety of audiences.
- Act as contact for ELIXIR with other industry-related EU projects, such as the RITrainPlus and ACCTRIS projects.
- As appropriate, contribute to the development of new industry-related proposals from EU funding programmes such as Horizon Europe.
- Help demonstrate the impact of open bioinformatics resources on innovation by developing a portfolio of case studies that show examples of benefits to industry of using ELIXIR’s resources, working closely with ELIXIR’s Impact Officer.
Knowledge and experience (essential):
- A university degree, ideally in the field of life-science, computer science or a business-focussed discipline
- Experience of running outreach or stakeholder engagement programmes or managing face-to-face and virtual events
- Confidence in developing and delivering talks and presentations to external stakeholders
- A high level of literacy with excellent written and oral communication skills in English as well as analytical skills
- A motivated self-starter with an ability to execute a number of projects simultaneously in a high-paced and multinational team-environment
- Networking skills and the ability to build relations with various stakeholders (virtually and face-to-face)
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with individuals across a range of profiles from junior to senior, technical and non-technical and from industry to academia
- Ability to develop strategic plans and new ideas based on consultation with stakeholders and identification of their needs
This will be a busy role with frequently changing priorities so it is essential that you are able to:
- Evaluate priorities often, working independently yet based on agreed individual and team objectives
- Meet deadlines and manage priorities to handle a heavy workload
- Work to a high level of accuracy and attention to detail
- When required, work outside normal office hours to travel to ELIXIR Nodes and stakeholder meetings
You might also have
Knowledge and experience (desirable):
- Experience of working in industry or in environments that have included close industry collaboration such as projects funded through the Innovative Medicines Initiative
- Experience of working in a bioinformatics/ life science environment or in a research infrastructure in a discipline outside life sciences
Why join us
The ELIXIR Hub will support the training needs of the post holder, and pay for relevant training. In addition, there are broader training courses across the campus that help with career progression, such as in time management, career planning, interpersonal skills and giving presentations.
We have an informal culture, international working environment and excellent professional development opportunities but one of the really amazing things about us is the concentration of technical and scientific expertise – something you probably won’t find anywhere else.
As an inter-governmental organisation, our special legal status means that ELIXIR Hub staff are not directly affected by Brexit (https://www.elixir-europe.org/news/status-elixir-following-uks-decision-leave-eu).
ELIXIR offers an attractive financial package and a number of benefits for families and non-residents:
- Financial incentives: Monthly family, child and non-resident allowances, annual salary review, pension scheme including 17% employer contribution, death-in-service benefit, long-term care, accident-at-work and unemployment insurances
- Flexible working arrangements
- Private medical insurance for you and your immediate family (including all prescriptions and generous dental & optical cover)
- Generous time off: 30 days annual leave per year, in addition to eight bank holidays
- Relocation package including installation grant (if required)
- Campus life: Free shuttle bus to and from work, on-site library, subsidised on-site gym and cafeteria, extensive sports and social club activities (on campus and remotely)
- Family benefits: On-site nursery, 10 days of child sick leave, generous parental leave, holiday clubs on campus and monthly family and child allowances
- Benefits for non-UK residents: Visa exemption, education grant for private schooling, financial support to travel back to your home country every second year and a monthly non-resident allowance.
For more details please see our employee benefits page.
What else you need to know
- Contract duration: This position is a project based contract with an estimated end date of 30th September 2024.
- International applicants: We recruit internationally and successful candidates are offered visa exemptions. Read more on our page for international applicants.
- Diversity and inclusion: At Elixir, we strongly believe that inclusive and diverse teams benefit from higher levels of innovation and creative thought. We encourage applications from women, LGBTQ+ and individuals from all nationalities.
- Job location: This role is based in Hinxton, UK and you will be required to relocate if you are currently based abroad.
- How to apply: To apply please submit a cover letter and a CV through our online system. We aim to provide a response within two weeks after the closing date - 3rd November 2021.