The GUC invites applications for vacancies to be filled effective September 2022 or February 2023
The FASA enrolls 1,250 students across three design majors: Graphic, Product and Media Design. The Design Workshops are an interdisciplinary department and currently consist of seven separate workshop units. The department mission is to teach all students practical skills relevant to the faculty’s majors. Throughout the majors, the workshops are an important resource, where students conduct experiments, realize assignments, create design prototypes, and participate in research. The Design Workshops contribute to the unique profile of FASA as a leader in design education in Egypt. The GUC invites highly motivated applicants for the following vacancy in the Workshop Design Department.
- Hands-on manager with substantial professional and organizational experience. Training in a craft or study of a design related discipline and a connection to design are a plus.
- Passion and interest in a variety of craft and techniques related to Graphic, Media and Product Design.
- Knowledgeable about current and future approaches within the field of workshops related to design. Interest in the training needs of undergraduate and postgraduate students.
- Motivated to gain experience within an intercultural academic environment and willing to
- develop own profile at the intersection of craft and technology.
- Work closely with faculty management on the planning, expansion, and budgeting of
- individual workshops.
- Represent proactively the interests of the workshop in Faculty Council and
- cooperate smoothly with all internal and external partners.
- Manage the Design Workshop Department, Units: Wood, Ceramics, Molding, Modelmaking/Rapid Prototyping, Illustration Techniques, Letterpress Typography and Bookbinding.
- Collaborate with workshop units in all aspects of workshop management, thereby expanding capacity, efficiency and creative profile of the Design Workshop department.
- Monitor safety and health regulations, plan workshop investments and supervise material purchase.
- Prepare requests for investments and create proposals for the strategic development of the workshops in alignment with the Faculty Management.
- Initiate contacts to suppliers and industry, optimize existing workshops and arrange maintenance needed.
- Share knowledge and facilitate teaching and training needs of students and staff.
Experience / Skills:
- Curiosity to widen the perception within the respective craft discipline and create a foundation for design-oriented actions and mindsets.
- Ability to work well with colleagues from diverse cultural backgrounds, professional experience and aesthetic sensibilities.
- Ability to structure and define project goals in order to foster and motivate positive experiences.
- Interest in supporting and conducting research activities in the workshops and connect them to design.
- Interpersonal communication and writing skills in English, which is the teaching language.
- Management skills, including the ability to meet deadlines, communicate and motivate effectively.
- Interest in working collaboratively within the GUC and with external partners towards the development of shared projects.
Interested applicants are invited to submit their CV including: employment history, a statement outlining research and teaching interests, list of publications and projects undertaken and names of at least three referees, motivational letter and online access to a portfolio of their work. Applications to be submitted online through the GUC website by referencing posting: Ref-Code: II8.3.2. Please click the above 'Apply' button to access.
Applications will be reviewed until position is filled. For best consideration, submit applications before 15th of June 2022.
For further information, please contact the HR Department (firstname.lastname@example.org)