The Department of Defence Studies seeks to recruit one Lecturer in Defence Studies on the Academic Education pathway.
We welcome applications from a broad range of expertise within the field of Security Studies. Any specific research focus may be considered, but preference will be given to candidates with subject matter expertise in the following areas: Professional Military Education, Future Conflict (including AI, cyber security), International Diplomacy, International Governance, Current and Emerging Challenges to Global Security, including the Environment, China and Russia.
The successful applicant will be based in the Defence Studies Department at the Defence Academy of the United Kingdom in Shrivenham, and will support a range of professional military education courses at the postgraduate level. Successful applicants will teach and supervise students who are serving officers or civil servants in the UK and allied armed forces. There are also opportunities to contribute to the School of Security Studies highly successful open online programmes.
The successful candidate will support the planning, organisation and delivery of teaching at the Defence Studies Department.
Defence Studies is part of the School of Security Studies and the Faculty of Social Science & Public Policy. Together, we support an inclusive culture and diversity for our staff and students. We are committed to encourage further growth from a diversity of groups, and we look forward to welcoming applicants of all abilities.
Defence Studies is located within the School of Security Studies and the Faculty of Social Science & Public Policy. Together, we support an inclusive culture and diversity for our staff and students. We are committed to encourage further growth from diverse groups, and we look forward to welcoming applicants of all abilities, whom we are able to support with our flexible varied working practices
Further information about the Department and School can be found here:
Appointments will be made on the Academic Education Pathway (AEP), focussed on the delivery of education, education-related scholarship and leadership in education.
This post will be offered on a full-time, fixed-term contract for 12 months.
- Participate in the delivery of teaching activities within the department in accordance with established departmental practice.
- Develop appropriate courses and lectures with reference to academic and military learning objectives.
- Contribute fully to developing and enhancing the profile of the Department, School, and College.
- Participate fully in assessment and examination processes as appropriate.
- Utilise a variety of educational methods and techniques and provide effective, timely, and appropriate feedback to students to support their learning.
- Engage in professional development as appropriate.
- Attend and participate in appropriate research seminars/conferences within subject related areas.
- Accept academic responsibility within the Department and School, involving administrative responsibilities where appropriate.
- Undertake any other reasonable duties that may be requested by the Head of Department.