- To act and manage aligned to the university’s guiding principles as set out in the Strategic Vision 2029: to be an exceptional institution, focusing on excellence in Facilities Management; to provide effective stewardship of the estate befitting of the College’s heritage and contemporary outlook; to create an inclusive environment that enables successful endeavour.
- Support the Head of Sport & Wellness in the execution of the Sport and Wellness Delivery Plan to meet the objectives of the Community Business Service Functional Plan - leveraging first-hand knowledge of our community to help drive service innovation and cost effectiveness.
- To demonstrate the contribution of the Department to the wider university strategic aims of enhancing mental health and wellness of our staff, student and the wider London Community. Working in collaboration across University Professional Services, Students and Education, Students Union and with Faculty.
- Lead a high performing and motivated team, ensuring that staff receive training, support and direction to thrive in their roles and operate with the highest standards of professionalism and customer service.
- Provide motivational leadership in order to drive performance against the Departmental KPIs. Ensure the performance appraisals of all staff are completed annually and identify training needs and recommend effective action to ensure team members development is recorded through their PDRs.
- To retain talent through coaching; providing specialist guidance and feedback; constantly up-skilling and developing staff; carrying out regular 1-2-1 meetings with direct reports to support their performance and development.
- Ensure that all managed staff, have completed the Fit For King's customer service programme and have adopted King’s Sport & Wellness behaviours to build and sustain a positive team culture.
- Manage and deliver the King’s Sport & Wellness Gym and Sports Grounds Operational budgets, responsible for the financial management of income generation, ensuring services are delivered efficiently and managed in accordance with the university’s Financial Procedures to ensure compliance, value for money and adequate return on investment at all times.
- To ensure our operations and user experiences supports and enables the needs of the communities they serve; to embrace co-creation principals and continually learn from successes and failures to make recommendations for improving the performance of King’s Sport & Wellness Business Operations
- Monitor service performance taking appropriate action to improve performance and maximise the reputation of King’s Sport & Wellness, reporting performance issues to the Head of Sport & Wellness; and communicating with stakeholders.
- Utilise Sport and Wellness systems and tools including Microsoft BI, to produce actionable insight that leads to more effective working to inform business strategy and make data driven decisions. To communicate this information clearly and precisely in an effective and consumable way.
- Support the Head of Sport & Wellness to execute the Estates Functional Plan to grow and enhance our Sport Facilities, increasing access and identifying future sites for development, building robust business plans and grow our revenue generation
- Identify works, both remedial and transformational, that will result in the estate becoming a world class student environment. Responsible for developing a professional and responsive working relationship with the Estates & Facilities Engineering and Operational Assurance Team, creating a one-team approach
- To lead on the delivery of the King’s Sport & Wellness & Wellness Clinic, bringing together academic partnerships to support the education experience of our students through space utilisation whilst supporting the implementation of the new King’s Sport & Wellness Academy to harness our workforce, coaching and volunteering opportunities
- Responsible for the health and safety of all staff and customers on behalf of Estates and Facilities within their demise by ensuring all College and statutory requirements for a safe environment and working practices are met, including compliance with the Safety at Work Act and all other relevant H&S legislation.
- Ensure accidents, incidents and 'near misses' are reported, investigated and actioned, and that lessons are learnt from health and safety investigations and service adjustments made.
- Champion and advocate for diversity and inclusion as an imperative for King’s, and work to identify and remove the barriers to inclusion and progression for underrepresented groups.
- Ensure business practices are aligned and support King’s ambition to continue to work towards protecting the environment and embedding a sustainable business approach, across Sport and Wellness.
- Undertake other duties not specifically stated above, commensurate with the grade of the post, which from time to time are necessary for the effective performance of the University
This post will be offered on an a fixed-term contract for until 14th November 2023
This is a full-time role
- To achieve the King’s Sport & Wellness Vision to Connect with our Communities to Find their Personal Best, set with the Head of Sport & Wellness, attaining the objectives of the Estate Philosophy and Community Business Services Functional Plan to deliver World Class Services to a World Class University.
- To manage King’s Sport Business Operations with responsibility for the line-management and development of the staff team to create a positive work culture and environment for success, that ‘puts students and staff at the heart of everything we do.’
- To take financial responsibility for operational and commercial budgets and ensure that the operating model is performing in accordance with agreed budgets and meets KPI targets through continuous improvement and innovation to deliver Impact in alignment with Vision 2029.
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.
- Educated to graduate level – or equivalent
- Excellent Leadership skills and significant knowledge of how to develop, lead and inspire high performing teams
- In-depth understanding of how to deliver exceptional customer and community experiences
- Knowledge of the national Sport, Health and Wellness sectors and stakeholders
- Previous experience of relationship management with a track-record of effecting senior level relationships
- Financial and commercial acumen with knowledge of procurement processes and contractor management
- Knowledge of the role of digital technologies and innovation in the Sport an Fitness industry
- Previous experience in managing multi – disciplinary operational teams
- Experience of compliance/H&S Regulations pertaining to building management and project delivery
- NEBOSH/IOSH qualification
- Experience of working in Sport and Wellness in Higher Education
- PRINCE2 or other Project management qualification
- Previous experience of working in a multi-site environment, prioritising complex and often conflicting demands ensuring appropriate risk management throughout