Opened in October 2010, the Bodleian Libraries Book Storage Facility (BSF) is a specialised high-density store that brings together over 10 million lower-usage items from the Bodleian Libraries’ collections. The Bodleian Libraries at the University of Oxford is the largest university library system in the United Kingdom.
The existing BSF consists of an eleven-metre tall solid shelving system comprising 31 Very Narrow Aisles (VNA). It has a capacity equivalent to 153 miles (230 kilometres) of shelf space and a five level multi-tier structure for map storage. We also offer an offsite Scan-and-Deliver service for articles and chapters of books. In a major development, the BSF site will be expanded to incorporate storage for the University’s museum collections. The expanded site will be renamed the Collections Storage Facility (CSF).
As a Team Leader, you will efficiently manage the processing of books and associated material into the CSF and make best use of storage areas in the warehouse. This will be done through organising the daily operations of the CSF, maintaining quality standards and supporting the customer focused operation where required. You will work with the Operations Manager to oversee and develop operating procedures for the CSF Team, organise staff rotas, co-ordinate delivery of material, monitor and manage standards of compliance, provide a contact service for all CSF customers and support the late shift team, amongst other tasks. You will, when necessary, participate in the operational roles of your team.
• Have experience of warehouse management in a VNA environment.
• Be comfortable working in a warehouse environment and at height.
• Have the ability to train and induct colleagues, and have good communication skills.
• Have the ability to identify and analyse areas for operational improvement and implement initiatives and engage with colleagues to support efficient working practices.
• Have the ability to present recommendations to peers and senior managers (orally and in writing).
• Have experience of a customer focused approach to service provision.
• Be skilled in Microsoft Office (2010 onwards).
• Be able to plan and organise teams to work efficiently, and experience of supervising/managing a small team.
• Previous MHE and forklift experience is desirable.
This is a full-time, permanent position, working 36.5 hours per week (14:00-22:00 Monday-Friday).
This role may require you to carry out some heavy lifting.
As a member of the University of Oxford you will receive excellent University benefits including access to its generous pension scheme, over 30 days annual leave (plus bank holidays) and University staff discounts.
Our staff and students come from all over the world, and we proudly promote a friendly and inclusive culture. Diversity is positively encouraged, through diverse groups and champions, as well as a number of family-friendly policies, such as the right to apply for flexible working and support for staff returning from periods of extended absence, for example shared parental leave.
You will be required to upload a supporting statement as part of your online application. Your supporting statement should list each of the essential and desirable selection criteria, as listed in the job description, and explain how you meet each one. CV’s will not be considered.
Only applications received online before 12:00 midday (GMT/BST) on Friday 3rd March 2023 can be considered. Interviews are expected to take place on Wednesday 15th March 2023.