Contract Type: Fixed Term (12 months)
Location: Swindon, Polaris House or London, Caxton House–hybrid work with overnight stays in UK
We are recruiting for a Programme Manager to join the Medical Research Council’s Data Science team to help deliver MRC strategic aims in data science as outlined in MRC’s Strategic Delivery Plan. The Data Science team develops, manages and supports MRC's ambitions in a broad range of ‘data science’, including, but not limited to, research-focussed and relevant data analytics, data science engineering, data management, and topics such as data infrastructures, software and AI.
In this role, you will work extensively across MRC and UKRI, thinking strategically about how to implement MRC data science. You will engage with internal and external audiences, stay on top of research and developments in relevant subject fields and be a primary source of information for Head Office colleagues in these areas.
- Working with Head of Theme, and with colleagues, act as lead contact for Digital Research Infrastructure, and work with colleagues in the UKRI Digital Research Infrastructure Programme and associated UKRI programme
- Contribute to the development and implementation of MRC’s needs in Digital Research Infrastructure, including in support of MRC’s priorities and Delivery Plan, working with MRC’s Digital Strategy Advisory Panel.
- Identify, develop and manage programmes of digital research infrastructure investment, working in partnership with other teams across MRC and UKRI
- Working with other members of the data science team, a liaison between the UKRI Digital Research Infrastructure team and the DARE UK Delivery team and Programme Board to successfully complete Phase 1 of the programme and plan and develop an understanding of Phase 2.
- Undertake proactive external representation to facilitate a mutual understanding of the research community’s needs for research infrastructure
- Contribute to internal and external communication activities, including providing expert briefing to MRC’s Executive, inputs to inquiries and consultations, government, and other stakeholder requests
- A PhD or equivalent experience in a research, or research-facing role, demonstrating a broad understanding of scientific issues
- Experience of working directly and achieving results with a wide range of stakeholders, e.g., research funders, the pharmaceutical industry, NHS, scientific publishing, or academia
- Knowledge and understanding of biomedical/health-relevant data science, including digital research infrastructure landscapes/environments and key issues in the UK
- The ability to communicate clearly – both orally and in writing, across a range of issues (beyond your own academic focus)
- The ability to appraise science and partnership opportunities, identify strategic objectives and their implications, and make adaptations for own area of work Strong interpersonal skills, including ability to build relationships, negotiation, influencing, persuasion and “people” skills
- An outstanding defined benefit pension scheme
- 30 days' annual leave in addition to 10.5 public and privilege days (full time equivalent)
- Employee discounts and offers on retail and leisure activities
- Employee assistance programme, providing confidential help and advice
- Flexible working options
UKRI is an Equal Opportunity & Disability Confident Employer.
How to apply:
For full details on the role, please click on the ‘Apply’ button above. Please submit an application including your CV and a Cover Letter that clearly showcases how your skills and experience align to the requirements of the role.