Research Assistant/Associate - 'The Learning Bus': Machine Learning for Hybrid Powertrain Management
University of Cambridge - Department of Engineering
|Salary:||£25,023 to £37,768|
|Contract Type:||Contract / Temporary|
|Placed on:||26th September 2016|
|Closes:||31st October 2016|
|★ View Employer Profile|
'The Learning Bus': Machine Learning for Hybrid Powertrain Management
A position exists for a Research Assistant/Associate in the Department of Engineering, to work on the development of machine learning systems for the real-time control of powertrains in ultra-low emission hybrid-engined buses.
The post holder will be located in Central Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, UK.
Key responsibilities will be to work with university colleagues and the university's industrial partner to:
- Research current industry best-practice.
- Specify and/or develop real-time engine management data collection and data processing systems.
- Develop machine learning algorithms which combine the timetabled duty-cycle requirements with the prevailing local conditions to minimise the vehicle's daily emissions signature.
- Demonstrate the effectiveness of the algorithms using real-world test data taken from a parallel, much larger, vehicle development programme.
- Preparation of reports
- Preparation and presentation of results and other specialist material to the industrial collaborator, the programme sponsor, and selected external parties
- Preparation and submission of papers for publication in the academic press
- Preparation of common interest articles for the public press
The skills, qualifications and experience required to perform the role are a PhD in a relevant subject area (or close to obtaining a PhD) and a good technical knowledge which spans across the fields of data collection and storage, data processing, and machine learning. Preferably, applicants will have some automotive experience in the field of internal combustion engines and powertrain control and will have at least one year's previous working experience in one of the following fields:
- Big data and machine learning
- Automotive powertrain management systems
Salary Ranges: Research Assistant: £25,023 - £28,982, Research Associate: £28,982 - 37,768
Fixed-term: The funds for this post are available until 31 October 2018 in the first instance.
Once an offer of employment has been accepted, the successful candidate will be required to undergo a health assessment.
To apply online for this vacancy and to view further information about the role, please visit: http://www.jobs.cam.ac.uk/job/11582. This will take you to the role on the University’s Job Opportunities pages. There you will need to click on the 'Apply online' button and register an account with the University's Web Recruitment System (if you have not already) and log in before completing the online application form.
Please ensure that you upload your Curriculum Vitae (CV), a covering letter in the Upload section of the online application. If you upload any additional documents which have not been requested, we will not be able to consider these as part of your application. Please submit your application by midnight on the closing date.
If you have any questions about this vacancy or the application process, please contact Ms E. Howard, email firstname.lastname@example.org. (Tel +44 01223 332888).
Please quote reference NM10232 on your application and in any correspondence about this vacancy.
The University values diversity and is committed to equality of opportunity.
Share this job
Type / Role:
South East England