Director for the Italian-German-Historical Institute
Fondazione Bruno Kessler
gross per annum for a part-time position, renegotiable
||Full Time, Part Time
||Contract / Temporary
||6th October 2016
||9th November 2016
(Subject of the recruitment)
- FONDAZIONE BRUNO KESSLER (FBK) hereby institutes a selection procedure for the recruitment of a director for FBK-ISIG. FBK is a private research institution inspired by the Constitutional principle of freedom of research, by the non-discrimination rules of the European Union and by the service of the international research community, devoted to excellence in research in numerous disciplines and designated to the role of keeping the Autonomous Province of Trento in the mainstream of European and international research. Each research area is assigned to a specific research center, of which these are seven in total. Information regarding the research centers, their activities and production is available at http://www.fbk.eu/research-centers .
- The ITALIAN-GERMAN HISTORICAL institute (FBK-ISIG) deals with the study of European history, with particular attention to the Italian-German area. The Center mainly focuses its research on the modern age (from the late fifteenth century through to the twentieth century) by means of a main project. In addition to this, parallel strands of study are developed on issues that, from time to time, the center identifies as important as part of the international relations that it cultivates with other research organizations, or in the context of a presence and a service to the local area in which it operates. Additionally, ISIG promotes and organizes conference activities consisting of meetings, seminars and international conferences of high scientific profile, without neglecting its aim of bringing important historical issues to a broader audience as well. For its studies, the Center can count on a well-stocked specialized library and disseminates the results of its research through publications that are produced by an internal editorial structure as well as published by prestigious Italian and foreign publishing houses.
Eligible applicants are professors or researchers, affiliated with public or private universities or research institutes of international standing. Previous international experience and leadership in international teams are necessary requirements to apply for the position. Candidates should possess advanced scientific qualification and a well-established network of academic relations associated with the scientific community engaged in early modern and contemporary history. He/she must also possess strong multidisciplinary skills suited to setting a close cooperation with FBK’s ISR Center and other FBK activities on issues such as the history of religious diversity and/or conflict and/or digital humanities.
(Roles, duties, and level of commitment)
- The Director is responsible for the overall functioning of FBK-ISIG, and reports to the Board of Directors.
- The commitment requested from the Director is part time / full time. This will be defined on the basis of the availability of the candidate (with negotiable core attendance).
- The Director assists the Scientific Committee in its studies and submission of proposals to the Board of Directors.
- The position of Director is incompatible with that of Chairman, General Manager, or other executive positions inside FBK, or with membership of the Board of Directors or the Scientific Committee.
(Term of office)
- The term of office of the FBK-ISIG Director is three years and may be renewed.
- The activities of the Director are evaluated twice a year by the Board of Directors, in relation to achievement of the objectives outlined and agreed on appointment. If said objectives are not achieved, the Director may be dismissed from her/his position by decree of FBK’s President, following a resolution by the Board of Directors.
- The gross basic salary is € 45,000 (part-time), renegotiable on the basis of availability / time dedicated to the appointment. An objectives achievement bonus is also foreseen (MBO). In the case of appointment of an existing FBK employee, the salary will be defined ad hoc.
(Submission of applications)
- In order to participate in the selection procedure for the appointment of Center Director as per art.1, applicants must complete the following online form: http://hr.fbk.eu/en/jobs
- Application deadline: November 9 2016 (12 a.m. GMT+1)
- Applications must include the following attachments in English (.pdf format):
- a brief statement expressing the applicant ‘s readiness to occupy the position part-time/full-time;
- detailed CV, including a list of academic titles and documents testifying professional appointments and experience;
- a proposal for the development of the center over the next three years;
- three letters of reference.
- Initially, candidates will be comparatively assessed by a Selection Committee, which will compile a shortlist of the candidates admitted to the interview process.
(Appointment and assumption of duties)
- A Director will be appointed by the Chairman of FBK among the candidates considered most suitable by the Selection Committee, following a resolution of the Board of Directors.
- A letter of appointment will be sent to the successful candidate, who will have ten days to accept the offer in writing. The contract envisaged for individuals from the private sector or from public entities other than universities or public research bodies and institutes, must in all cases be signed no more than sixty days after the date on which the appointment letter was sent. Failure to accept or sign the contract will invalidate the offer.
- The start date of the appointment will be mutually agreed.
THE FBK CHAIRMAN
Prof. Francesco Profumo
Trento, 26 September 2016
Please read the “Guidelines for Selection of Directors” before completing your application.
For further information or technical issues regarding the application, please contact the Human Resources Service at firstname.lastname@example.org