Science writer (internship)
European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL)
|Salary:||Grade 1 - 2|
|Contract Type:||Contract / Temporary|
|Placed on:||3rd October 2016|
|Closes:||30th October 2016|
The European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) is one of the highest ranked scientific research organisations in the world. The Headquarters Laboratory is located in Heidelberg (Germany), with additional sites in Grenoble (France), Hamburg (Germany), Hinxton (UK) and Monterotondo (Italy).
We are looking for a passionate and creative writer to help explain, promote and advocate the work of EMBL, a world leader in molecular biology research and service delivery.
In this role you will work closely with other writers and communicators to produce content to inform and engage EMBL’s key audiences.
Content you produce will be used across a variety of channels including scientific journals, reports, websites, magazines, social media and within multimedia content.
Day-to-day activities will include:
- Interviewing, fact checking, researching
- Synthesising and repackaging content for specific audiences
- Writing, editing and subediting content
- Developing and applying standards for language, format and style
- Managing content online
Qualifications and Experience
- Excellent English writing skills, fluency in German is highly desirable
- Ability to understand complex scientific concepts and articulate these in engaging ways appropriate to a variety of target audiences
- Excellent analytical skills, eye for detail
- Ability to respond positively to critical feedback
- Scientific background is a plus
Team You will join writers, designers, web producers and communicators in the Strategy and Communications team. We’re an international, friendly and supportive team, with ties to scientists and professionals throughout EMBL and beyond.
This is a training position suitable for a masters-level graduate looking to gain experience in science writing and communications. Here’s what you’ll get:
- Experience working in an international, collaborative environment in one of the world’s most respected centres for basic life science research.
- Experience of the entire editorial cycle of corporate communications, from planning to delivery. You will build a portfolio of work that can include news pieces, features, social media posts, backgrounders and printed content.
This is a six month position with the possibility to extend for a further six months on mutual agreement. The position is based at EMBL’s site in Heidelberg, Germany. The position comes with a stipend and accommodation is provided.
Please apply by contacting Adam Gristwood on email@example.com and providing a CV, a cover letter and the contact details of two referees. Please feel free to include samples of your writing or other communications activities.
Deadline for applications is 30 October. Earlier submissions are strongly encouraged. The start date is as soon as possible and no later than the beginning of January 2017. Additional Information EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation.
Please note that appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.
Share this job
Type / Role: