To start early January 2017, ideally with handover period in December
Part of Kaplan Inc (www.kaplan.com), Kaplan International Colleges offers university preparation programmes in partnership with leading universities across the UK. We are now looking for an exceptional individual to lead the academic team at KIC London, our vibrant off-campus college, located just seconds from Borough Market in one of the capital’s most historic and lively areas. This vacancy presents an exciting opportunity for a passionate, academic professional with experience in international education, to work in a dynamic environment and play a very real part in the growth and development of the college and business. The role would be due to commence in January 2016.
KIC London (KICL) has been offering international students university preparation courses since 2008 and today welcomes students from more than 50 countries. It enjoys prestigious academic partnerships with University of York (ranked 17th, Times/Sunday Times 2017), University of Birmingham (ranked 16th in UK, Times/Sunday Times 2017, Cranfield University (Finance Msc is ranked 25th in the world by the Financial Times), Westminster University (ranked 29th in the UK for Media and Communication, Times/Sunday Times 2015) and City University, whose Cass Business School is ranked 21st in the UK for Business and Marketing (Guardian University Guide 2015). Through a combination of high quality teaching and strong support throughout the programme, our students go on to a wide variety of degree programmes from engineering and finance to law and journalism.
As Academic Director of this college, you will lead a team of subject and programme heads to ensure a high quality teaching operation that ensures each and every one of our students achieves the best of which they are capable. You will be the primary academic contact for our university partners, working to ensure that these partnerships continue to thrive and develop. With a background in teaching, evidence of academic team management and a real understanding of the kind of support international students need to excel in the British higher education system, you will be able to demonstrate knowledge of academic quality assurance, curriculum and timetable planning, learning support and assessments and examining, preferably gained from experience in an international college environment. You will be committed to attaining excellence, both for the students at KICL and the staff in your team and will demonstrate a level of rigour and energy in everything you do. You’ll combine a head for analysis and organization with the softer skills required to manage and motivate a team.
Main responsibilities and functions
- Overall responsibility for the management of academic quality assurance procedures and programmes offered by the College, including teaching, learning support, assessments and examining, reporting, external examiner and cover activities.
- Managing and leading the programme approval process for new programmes developed for delivery within the College or amendments requiring the approval of the partner university.
- Coordinating the use of teaching resources to manage the delivery of programmes.
- Managing and chairing of boards and management of academic standards in the College.
- Oversight of the effective measurement of the student learning experience in relation to academic performance, tutorial provision and all aspects of the student learning experience, including the performance of students once they have progressed to the partner university.
- Managing the development and implementation of action plans, produced following review activities within the College and KIC, including Quality Assurance Agency visits, related to the student academic learning experience.
- Ensuring the effective use of learning resources within the College including the use of the VLE and other online resources.
- Ensuring adherence to budget targets particularly with regard to class size averages, academic staff deployment and an efficient timetable
- Ensuring strong integration between academic teams involved in the delivery of programmes and tutorials, including coordinating teaching and learning staff development activities.
- Communicating and dealing with any issues related to academic policies, including liaising closely with the College Director and other senior academic staff in the College and national KIC staff responsible for academic and quality assurance.
- Providing academic leadership to the Senior Academic team, including all HR and related activities.
- Working with Student Services to provide students with a quality learning experience.
- Assisting with the review, development and refinement of progression routes for students with the partner university to enhance the availability and suitability of progression options for students within the College.
- Liaising with other senior academic staff within KIC and contributing to the management of assessment strategies and academic developments.
- Representing the College at appropriate events and meetings within KIC, KHEI, partner universities and externally.
- Any other duties as required from time to time by the College Director, including deputising, when required, for the College Director in their absence
- A minimum of a UK Bachelor degree or equivalent and preferably a UK Masters degree or higher;
- Understanding of UK further and higher education, and experience of academic management and/or quality assurance in UK further and/or higher education, and/or within a similar institution;
- Experience of managing and providing academic leadership to a team of academic staff;
- Knowledge of the needs of international students and experience of teaching and/or working with international students;
- A performance-driven team player and leader with a strong commitment to customer service;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to handle student and parent/sponsor queries and formal meetings sensitively;
- Experience of quality assurance and enhancement processes in an educational context;
- Strong project management, resource allocation and organisational skills;
- Good analytical skills;
- The ability to respond positively to change and to be effective in changing situations;
- Flexibility and willingness to work under pressure to deadlines and prioritise workload effectively;
- Excellent IT skills including MS Office and Excel use.
Application method: Apply with your CV and covering letter via our online application form.
Closing date: 28th October, 2016