Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute - Biological Sciences
|Salary:||£24,226 to £39,142 dependent on experience, plus excellent benefits|
|Contract Type:||Contract / Temporary|
|Placed on:||19th October 2016|
|Closes:||17th December 2016|
|★ View Employer Profile|
We are seeking an experienced full stack Java developer to work in the development of high throughput Laboratory Information Management Systems (LIMS) to meet the increasing informatics needs of our world class scientific institute and collaborative projects.
We develop a large scale LIMS to assist in the tracking of scientific data generated in our labs, as well as bespoke support for our faculty groups. See http://www.sanger.ac.uk/science/groups/mouse-pipelines for more information on the work we do. Our LIMS is used to support many other groups, both within the Sanger Institute and around the world.
You will become part of a relaxed but professional software development team, with access to world class computing resources and many opportunities for furthering your knowledge of robust web development, user interface design, Java and relational databases.
This role involves gathering and implementing user requirements and discussing the impact of new features with the senior developers in the group and other members of the team. We operate a separate ticketing system to track and manage user issues and bugs.
We develop primarily in Java using a web stack running on Apache Tomcat and using Oracle as the database layer.
Depending on the successful candidate's experience we are able to offer either a senior or intermediate level position.
- A reputable degree in Computing science or demonstrable equivalent experience of the same level
- A minimum of two years' work experience in practical software development.
- A good working knowledge of Java and web development.
- Experience with current software development tools and practice including Eclipse/InteliJ, Maven, unit testing and version control (SVN/Git).
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills.
- Knowledge of the Spring Framework APIs.
- Design and manual querying of relational databases (preferably Oracle).
- An interest in user experience and user interface design.
- Development with jQuery and CSS/SASS.
- Development with JDBC and experience of bespoke SQL querying.
- Agile project methodologies.
The Sanger Institute is a charitably funded research centre focused on understanding the role of genetics in health and disease. We use state of the art large-scale genomic approaches to drive world-leading projects to uncover the basis of genetic and infectious disease. Our goal is to provide results that can be translated into diagnostics, treatments or therapies that reduce global health burdens.
The Institute is located near Cambridge, UK on the stunning Wellcome Genome Campus. This growing and dynamic site is the British hub of genomic science. It hosts the European Bioinformatics Institute (EBI), Open Targets, a Biodata Innovation Centre and will soon host Genomics England Limited's 100,000 Genomes Sequencing Centre. Its vision is to inspire a range of audiences both on the Campus and beyond it, and make the world of genomics open and accessible to all.
Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute welcomes applications from all candidates irrespective of age, disability, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief, or marital or civil partnership status.
Please include a covering letter and CV with your application.
Applications will be considered on an on-going basis.
Share this job
Type / Role:
South East England