Software Developer, Mouse Informatics
European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL)
|Salary:||Competitive. Grade: 5 or 6|
|Contract Type:||Contract / Temporary|
|Placed on:||16th November 2016|
|Closes:||4th December 2016|
Contract Duration: 3 years
We are searching for a skilled developer to help build the PDX Integrator that will bring together genomic, histopathological, and drug response data from Patient Derived Xenograft (PDX) models. PDX models are mouse strains engineered to propagate human cancers and are increasingly being used in research to test new chemotherapeutic regimes and study drug resistance mechanisms. You will revise and extend our existing phenomic infrastructure to store PDX specific information based on prioritised tasks from a PDX community data integration specialist. You should be an experienced java programmer who also has experience designing systems architecture and is comfortable collaborating with global collaborators.
You’ll be working within Mouse Informatics at EMBL-EBI alongside developers, bioinformaticians and ontologists. As part of your day to day job, you’ll be collaborating with the team, who have a range of expertise in semantics, data analytics, image analysis and 3D image display.
Your specific goals and tasks:
- Delivery and iterative development of Neo4j backend and user portal for the PDX Integrator
- Development of data upload mechanisms
- Maintain and adapt programmatic access of the PDX integrator based on users’ needs
- Coordinate development activities with outside collaborators
- Interact with the larger mouse informatics project including participation in developmental sprints
- Ensure training and documentation is up-to-date
- Engage with users to make improvements to the software
Willingness to undertake international travel and availability for US based teleconferences is essential for this post. Excellent interpersonal, communication and English skills are also essential.
Candidates are actively encouraged to apply for more than one position within the Mouse Informatics if qualified.
At EMBL-EBI, we help scientists realise the potential of ‘big data’ in biology by enabling them to exploit complex information to make discoveries that benefit mankind. Working for EMBL-EBI gives you an opportunity to apply your skills and energy for the greater good.
Qualifications and Experience
The Bioinformatician/Software developer should have:
- Have completed an MSc/PhD level or equivalent in computer science or bioinformatics or have equivalent professional experience
- Proficiency in graph-based database (e.g. Neo4j) technologies
- Experience with Solr desirable
- Demonstrate the ability to work independently while also interacting in a team environment
- Demonstrable experience in programming languages
- Excellent communication skills - essential to effective collaboration within the team and our partners in other countries and institutions.
- Ability to work independently while also interacting in a team environment
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme and health insurance, educational and other family related benefits where applicable, as well as financial support for relocation and installation.
To apply please submit a covering letter and CV through our online system.
Applications are welcome from all nationalities.
EMBL-EBI is committed to achieving gender balance and strongly encourages applications from women. Appointment will be based on merit alone.
This position is limited to the project duration specified.
Applications will close at 23:00 GMT on the date listed above.
It is envisaged that interviews will take place in the week commencing 12 December 2016
Share this job
Type / Role:
South East England