Kingston University - Faculty of Science, Engineering & Computing - School of Computer Science & Mathematics
|Location:||Kingston Upon Thames|
|Salary:||£37,256 to £40,483 per annum incl. London weighting.|
|Contract Type:||Contract / Temporary|
|Placed on:||22nd November 2016|
|Closes:||2nd January 2017|
The appointed researchers in RoViT will form a new team and collaborate to develop research in RoViT for MONICA. Their main goal will be to make significant scientific contributions in designing and developing research solutions, aiming to implement a video surveillance system as part of the MONICA’s work package on Security Close Loop Systems.
Such work package will have to exploit a complex multi-camera system that uses fixed, pan-tilt-zoom, worn and flown cameras, communicate with solutions developed for other communicating work packages in MONICA and contribute to the overall solution of the project.
The specific goal for the appointed researchers is to design, implement and evaluate intelligent algorithms using video analysis, machine and deep learning for the classification, monitoring and modelling of movement of people in complex and cluttered environments.
The developed solutions will be tested in all MONICA pilots and deployed in very challenging scenes, with multitude of people gathering and dispersing, potentially poor illumination conditions and complex crowd dynamics.
- PhD in Electronic and Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or in a related area.
- Experience in writing high quality research reports and publications.
- Existing experience in computer vision research.
- Specific experience with target recognition in complex and crowded scenes.
- Experience with prototyping languages, such as Python or MATLAB.
- Experience of working with C, C++, C# or similar object oriented programming languages.
- Experience in developing applications on Windows or LINUX platforms for computer vision.
- Experience in mathematical and statistical modelling for computer vision.
- Excellent oral and written communication, and presentation skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and team working skills.
- Sound working knowledge of IT developments and good personal IT skills.
- Excellent track record of problem solving and analytical skills developed in a relevant environment.
- Able to work on strict deadlines and deliver results on time
The Faculty / Department
Research at KU will be carried out in Computer Science department of the Faculty of Science, Engineering and Computing (SEC). SEC was formed in 2011 and is comprised of four schools, bringing together interdisciplinary research, improving the scope of the student experience and encouraging partnerships between academia and commerce.
The Faculty has over 300 academic staff and over 120 support and professional staff with some 230 research students. The Faculty has a number of key partnerships with both UK based and international education establishments and also industrial and practice based partnerships. Within the SEC Faculty, MONICA will engage the multidisciplinary Robot Vision Team (RoViT), led by Prof. Paolo Remagnino. RoViT is one of the main research groups of the Computer Science department. Over the last 5 years, RoViT has contributed to the success of the Faculty securing more than two million Euros in research grants funded by UK, European and US funding bodies.
One post is a fixed term contract for 26 months. Two posts are a fixed term contract for 36 months.
Clicking on the apply button below will take you to Kingston University's website where you will be able to apply online.
Kingston University is committed to equality and we value the diversity of our staff and students.
Share this job
Type / Role: