The Natural History Museum - Physical and Environmental Sciences
|Salary:||£29,154 to £30,553 (depending on experience) per annum plus benefits|
|Placed on:||22nd November 2016|
|Closes:||12th December 2016|
Forming one division within the museum's Core Research Laboratories, the Imaging & Analysis Centre is a central resource for the museum's science group, contributing to the science strategy as well as public engagement.
The Imaging & Analysis Centre provides first-class imaging and analytical facilities and the Museum seeks to recruit an experienced geochemical analyst to join a team of scientists in the Imaging & Analysis Centre. This is an analytical post with the requirement to work across a number of applications, including LA-ICP-MS, analytical SEM, electron microprobe and other chemical/geochemical techniques. Previous experience in LA-ICP-MS is required.
As well as supporting the Museum's research and curation programmes the post holder will be expected to engage in collaborative and/or independent research and seek funds to support this research, preferably in synergy with the existing research groups and directly relevant to the museum's science strategy.
- Experience in the use of LA-ICP-MS for the analysis of inorganic, preferably geological materials
- Experience in data reduction, processing and interpretation of LA-ICP-MS analyses
- First line maintenance and troubleshooting LA-ICP-MS instruments
- Use and application of Analytical SEM and EDX and interpretation of associated data
- Experience in the use of Electron Microprobe and WDX analysis of minerals
- Preparation of mineral separates and light microscopy identification for mineralogy and petrology descriptions.
- Experience with writing and publishing scientific results in internationally recognized peer-reviewed journals.
- Ability to work as part of a team with strong networking skills
Closing date: 9am on Monday 12 December 2016
Customer advert reference: JM/NHM/AG
Share this job
Type / Role: