ELIXIR-EXCELERATE Project Manager
European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL)
|Salary:||£2,805 Grade 6, monthly salary after tax|
|Contract Type:||Contract / Temporary|
|Placed on:||24th November 2016|
|Closes:||3rd January 2017|
Contract Duration: 2 years 7 months or until 31.08.2019
ELIXIR is seeking an experienced Project Manager to join the dynamic and international team. The main purpose of this role is to project manage ELIXIR-EXCELERATE, a large Horizon 2020-funded project coordinated by ELIXIR, to ensure successful completion and transformative impact of this project.
ELIXIR-EXCELERATE will fast-track ELIXIR’s implementation and support early operations by i) coordinating and enhancing existing resources into a world-leading data service for academia and industry, ii) growing bioinformatics capacity and competence across Europe, and iii) completing the management processes needed for a large distributed infrastructure. The consortium has 53 partners and linked third parties spread over 17 countries with a total budget of over €19M.
Part of the growing project management unit at the ELIXIR Hub, the ELIXIR-EXCELERATE project manager is a senior role commensurate with the needs of a large, complex and international project. You will report to the ELIXIR Senior Project manager and work in close collaboration with the technical and platform coordinators at the ELIXIR Hub as well as with colleagues at the ELIXIR Nodes throughout Europe.
It is expected that you will actively contribute to the development of good project management practice and building strong project management capabilities within the ELIXIR Hub and wider ELIXIR organisation. As required you may also contribute to the development and submission of further large, multidisciplinary, and multi-collaborative grant proposals to a wide range of funding agencies and organizations, including both public and private external entities.
You will require solid knowledge and understanding of European research infrastructures, research programmes, principally Horizon 2020, and a solid background in the life sciences. Excellent coordination and project management skills with experience of negotiating, managing and reporting EC research projects are critical to the success of the role.
The main duties and responsibilities are as follows:
- Overall project management responsibility for ELIXIR-EXCELERATE to ensure that deadlines, targets and objectives are successfully achieved;
- Strategic and day-to-day management of project risks and opportunities including project performance indicators and risk register;
- Drive the planning and budget processes, assemble and analyse metrics and outcomes; ensure that all reporting requirements are met;
- Effectively manage changes in the large consortium, including in terms of project partners, tasking and resources;
- Effectively and proactively communicate operational outcomes, risks, and ongoing processes to the ELIXIR internal and external stakeholders, in particular the ELIXIR Director and the ELIXIR Heads of Nodes;
- Collaborate closely with colleagues in the ELIXIR Hub team – in particular the technical coordinators and other project managers – to ensure that the ELIXIR-EXCELERATE project aligns with overall ELIXIR operations and future strategy;
- As required, contribute to the development of future grant proposals; support proposal and budget development and writing; write and edit proposal narratives and budgetary justifications;
- As required, contribute to the management and delivery of other/additional ELIXIR projects and work-packages;
- Work closely with the EMBL-EBI Grants Office in the process of submitting, negotiating and managing awarded grants;
- Represent ELIXIR, as appropriate, in interactions with internal and external stakeholders such as the European Commission, including in the negotiation of grants and contracts.
To apply please submit a covering letter and CV, with two referees, through our online system.
Share this job
South East England