Animal Technician (Maternity Cover)
MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology - MRC Ares
|Salary:||£16,838 to £19,600|
|Contract Type:||Contract / Temporary|
|Placed on:||24th November 2016|
|Closes:||11th December 2016|
|Job Ref:||LMB 380|
12 months fixed term contract to cover Maternity leave
Starting Salary: £16,838 - £19,600 (plus £2,500 Recruitment and Retention Allowance for a Home Office Personal Licence)
Band Salary: £16,838 - £24,844
Who we are
The Biological Services Group (BSG) maintains state-of-the-art facilities to house breeding and experimental rodent colonies. We aim to provide the highest standard of modern transgenic production services and experimental resources to support the future scientific programmes of the LMB.
The MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology (LMB) is one of the world’s leading research institutes, where Scientists are using mice and rats in their research to understand biological processes at the molecular level with the aim of tackling major problems in human health.
You will join a dedicated team of approximately 70 staff, the majority of which are Animal Technicians. You will be responsible for ensuring that excellent animal care is provided and that high welfare standards are met. Animal health and welfare are of paramount importance to all staff at the LMB and are essential in achieve valid scientific results.
What you’ll do
- Care and maintenance of genetically altered research mice within Indivially Vented Caging systems (IVCs).
- Daily welfare observations of the mice. Carrying out head-counts, checking the information on the cage label and reporting, as necessary, any abnormalities seen.
- Feeding - provision of food into hoppers/preparation of wet mash, for weaning animals.
- Ensuring that the animals have fresh water provision at all times.
- Keep accurate records, both written and on electronic databases.
- Ensure high standards are met to comply with Home Office requirements.
What we’re looking for
- Experience of working as an Animal Technician or caring for animals.
- A pro-active approach demonstrating commitment to animal welfare with a desire for constant improvement.
- Experience of maintaining high levels of hygiene to ensure a suitable environment.
- Can demonstrate good attention to detail and can act on own initiative.
- Minimum of 5 GCSE’s at grades A-C or equivalent.
Working for the MRC provides a whole host of benefits including a final salary pension scheme, Benenden Healthcare membership and excellent holiday entitlement. You will also have access to employee shopping/travel discounts, on site sport and social facilities, as well as salary sacrifice cycle to work scheme and childcare vouchers.
For further information of the research undertaken at the LMB, please visit:
To apply and access full details of the vacancy please visit our job board at https://mrc.tal.net/vx/lang-en-GB/appcentre-1/candidate/postings/410. If you are unable to apply online please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Final appointments will be subject to a pre-employment screening
The Medical Research Council is an Equal Opportunities Employer who participates in the two ticks’ scheme.
Share this job
South East England