We are experts in research management and we are looking for a talented and experienced patient and public involvement and engagement professional (PPIE) to join us. The National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) Central Commissioning Facility (CCF), based at LGC in Twickenham, manages a number of major research funding programmes and infrastructure investments on behalf of the Department of Health (DH) with an annual budget in excess of £400 million.
The NIHR is the research arm of the NHS. Together, NIHR people, facilities and systems represent the most integrated clinical research system in the world, driving research from bench to bedside for the benefit of patients and the economy. We work with ‘The public as our partners
’ and value the knowledge, experience and insight they bring to research. For more information see these web pages:Job purpose:
You will be responsible for providing advice, guidance and monitoring of NIHR Infrastructure, Schools and Units on the development and delivery of their strategic plans for PPI, engagement and participation. You will work with colleagues across the NIHR and beyond to coordinate collaborative approaches to sharing resources, learning and effective practice.
In addition, you will lead on initiating and delivering other projects and activities in our PPIE plans and work flexibility to support related areas of activity, as required, in particular communication Key accountabilities include:
- Lead on the development, delivery, monitoring, review and reporting of our annual involvement and engagement plan, always looking for ways to innovate, streamline processes and maximise impact.
- Providing oversight, expertise and coordination to support and monitor the development of PPI in NIHR initiatives managed by CCF such as Infrastructure, Schools and Units.
- Lead on learning and support events, chairing meetings, giving talks and making presentations, producing guidance documents, papers, case studies, leaflets, posters and materials in other media to promote and support PPIE activities.
- Driving the sharing of PPIE knowledge, effective practice and expertise at an organisational level and between individuals such as PPIE leads, the public, researchers and CCF staff.
- Establishing, maintaining and managing effective external relationships and networks with key individuals and national organisations in the voluntary, public and private sectors to promote and support our PPI and engagement activities.
- Developing and maintaining awareness and understanding of the changing environment including keeping up to date on PPI in research literature and practice.
- Line managing staff as required.
We are looking for a dynamic and highly motivated individual to join our team. You will have substantial previous experience in a senior PPIE role, preferably gained from more than one health research organisation or setting. Required knowledge, experience and technical skills Essential
- Good degree or equivalent qualification in a relevant subject and/or significant work experience in a relevant area.
- Significant knowledge and experience of PPI in health research in the public and/or research charity/voluntary sectors.
- Knowledge and understanding of public engagement
- Experience in planning, delivery, monitoring, review and reporting of strategies.
- Effective project management skills demonstrated by a proven ability to successfully initiate, manage and deliver complex projects, including those which span organisational boundaries.
- Excellent communications skills and ability to engage with stakeholders and influence external partnerships and projects. Including experience of partnership working with a diverse range of groups, organisations and individuals and with sensitivity to others.
- Self motivated, able to work without supervision, perform well under pressure, prioritise personal workload and meet deadlines.
- Excellent writing skills for a wide range of audiences and using a variety of communication channels.
- Excellent IT skills including the use of Google Apps.
- Experience of successfully managing and developing staff.
Essential competencies and behaviours
- Academic knowledge and experience of PPI and/or engagement in research.
- Knowledge and experience of communications.
- Leadership experience of project and team management: clarifying objectives, setting and meeting deadlines, working with stakeholders, managing resource, running a tight budget.
- Decision making / judgement
- Collaboration and teamwork
- Planning and organisation
To apply, please forward your CV and a covering letter to: email@example.com Interviews will be held in Twickenham on Thursday 05 January 2017.
Please contact Philippa Yeeles (Director of Involvement & Engagement) by telephone 020 8843 8071
or email firstname.lastname@example.org
if you would like an informal chat.