HR Adviser - Job Share
University of Glasgow - College of Social Sciences Administration
|Salary:||£33,574 to £37,768 pro rata, per annum.|
|Contract Type:||Contract / Temporary|
|Placed on:||30th November 2016|
|Closes:||11th December 2016|
To provide pro-active professional HR advice and support to all levels of staff in the College under the aegis of the University’s HR policies e.g. terms and conditions, performance management, employee relations, etc. The role reports directly to the Head of College Human Resources, and whilst overall guidance may be available, on many occasions the HR Adviser will need to act independently.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide support to the Head of College HR in the delivery of a professional HR service across the College including the development and implementation of the College’s plans in support of University strategy and policy.
- Lead the delivery of specific College HR projects that contribute to the implementation of the College’s HR strategy, and where required, work on University-wide projects.
- Under the general guidance of the Head of College HR, provide high quality professional HR guidance on a range of complex HR issues including casework, performance management, disciplinary, grievance, sickness absence, recruitment application of terms and conditions of employment and interpretation of HR policy.
- Participate in job evaluation/grading processes, including providing advice to managers in the development of job descriptions/person specifications.
- Support line managers in managing and resolving employee relations case-work through internal (and if required, external) procedures, assessing the risks, legal and other implications and financial impact. The HR Adviser will be the “first response” person in sometimes difficult situations.
- Work with College managers to develop their line management capabilities in people management by providing HR advice, support, coaching and training on a wide range of people management issues.
- Work in partnership with College staff and relevant Trade Union representatives to implement specific aspects of College HR plans.
- Prepare, analyse, interpret and report Human Resources management information as required for College and University purposes.
- Attend and provide HR support for College committees and working groups as directed.
- Line management responsibility for the College HR Assistant and HR Administration Assistant.
- Maintain personal and professional knowledge through CPD, keeping up to date with employment law and University HR policies and procedures.
- Deputise for the Head of College HR as required.
- To contribute to the enhancement of the University’s international profile in line with the University’s Strategic Plan, Glasgow 2020 – A Global Vision
Standard Terms & Conditions
Salary will be on the Management, Professional and Administrative Grade, level 7.
This post is maternity cover, offered on a 0.5 job share basis which is equivalent to 17.5 hours per week worked over 2.5 days. The working pattern is: Wednesday 1.30pm – 5.00pm, Thursday and Friday 9.00am – 5.00pm.
New entrants to the University will be required to serve a probationary period of 6 months.
The successful applicant will be eligible to join the Universities’ Superannuation Scheme. Further information regarding the scheme is available from the Superannuation Officer, who is also prepared to advise on questions relating to the transfer of Superannuation benefits.
The University has been awarded the Athena SWAN Institutional Bronze Award.
The University is committed to equality of opportunity in employment.
The University of Glasgow, charity number SC004401.
Share this job
Type / Role: